Couching Foot for APQS?

Does anyone know whether the good folks at APQS plan on coming out with a couching foot? If so, when?

I just saw that Gammill came out with one the other day and I've been wanting to play with one ever since I saw the one for HandiQuilter. Yes, I'm sure that it'll just be a gimmick foot, but it sure looks like a lot of fun. 

I asked this question 2 years ago. They were talking about it, but for some reason, it never came to fruition.

I'm glad to see that others would dive in on this as well as I.

You'd need the foot and the spool holder and guide to get the thread to the front opening of the foot. So 3 pieces. 

Myrna Ficken showed me how to couch using a matching thread or a monofilament. But it basically involved taking tiny zigzag stitches as you manually manipulated the yarn into place. It's doable that way but what I was intrigued by when I saw Karlee Porter doing it on her HandiQuilter was that she basically was just FMQ as normal and it held the yarn in place as she quilted. I don't recall a special spool holder for the yarn, just a skein of it laying loosely on the quilt top.

Marybeth, The couching feet that are made for specific machines, have an opening in the front (or side)..and I personally think towards the front would make more sense, but sense...but I'm not the expert here. With that said, they usually have 2 or 3 couching feet, each with a different sized hole, depending on the millimeter of couching thread/yarn being used.  It stabilizes that thread to lay just exactly where you want it to.  Pretty Nifty if ya ask me.

Ive couched using the small squiggle.  It works, but it's VERY time consuming!

On 3/27/2017 at 3:47 PM, Busy Quilting said:

Claudia couches by laying her thread in front of the foot and with a matching or invisible thread taking the tiniest of stitches off a straight line path.

Haven't tried it yet but she made it look easy with a normal foot.

Is there a video of Claudia couching?  I would love to learn how!

Too bad someone has not come up with a small plastic spacer you could push into the normal hopping foot to transform it into a couching foot.  Here a link of Karlee Porter couching on a sit-down model;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vP4rXcCTCg  The good stuff starts around 5 minutes 40 seconds or so.  Here are what the foot looks like;  http://www.handiquilter.com/shop/product/handi-feet-couching-kit/http://www.handiquilter.com/shop/product/handi-feet-couching-kit/  Seems like an easy foot to make for APQS, though it would probably set you back $150 or so would be my guess.

Check out her other videos and her book.  They are interesting.

Cagey

Archived