Taking care of the canvas

I need advice.  I got my Lenni in 2010, at that time I didn't know anything about having a longarm.  I really stretched the canvases, really pushed my skills at keeping things square. I went to floating my tops just so I didn't have to use the horribly stretched canvas (thank god for all the you tube videos). I am replacing them today (they got stained in the move) and want advice on what everyone does to keep them in great shape.  TIA

I've had my Liberty 9 years and I've replaced them three times.  The first time I changed them was because they were stretched,  Then I ordered some canvases that had been printed with a one inch grid and other markings.  I thought I would love them.  I did not.  That was also my phase of "zippers".  Didn't like those either.  Then I decided I wanted some pretty canvas.  Nope that was kind of stupid.  So now I'm back to my natural colored canvases and I seem to be content with them.  It's not hard to change them and the canvas is cheap enough.  The hardest thing is the first time and fear of messing them up.  I think how often you would need to change them would depend on how many quilts you do.  I quilt in spurts and only for myself and I let my friends quilt on my machine and I figure about every 3 - 5 years at least.   

I've had my machine since 2007 and I've never changed them.  I usually try to keep them straight so after each quilt I make sure they are straight again.  If they get out of whack I pin them together, actually I have zippers so I zip them together, and roll back and forth until they are straight.  Only one time did I have to square them up again by creating new squared ends.  

• 2 years later...