Need help with quilting

Beautiful quilt!  The appliqué quilts I've seen have ditching around the appliqué, and then a background fill so the appliqué pops off the surface.  Some minimal accent stitching on the appliqué with matching thread. Your border could be a piano key style with a fill in the larger segments.  I think that's how I'd approach it.  I'll look forward to seeing what you end up doing!  Have fun!

Dianna

I like Kathy's idea for piano keys on the boarder, but I would offset them 45 degrees or so to match the lines in the fabric.  Use the red/maroon highlight line, and go on either side of that...it looks to be about a 1/4 inch wide line.  Then evenly space the lines on the other colors.  

In the brown squares, since there are already circles, I would say tight pebbling.  Feathers in the green leaves, using the center stem as your center line. 

On the white blocks, I would first say mirror image the flower, but that would be hard to repeat 13 times to have them all match.  Thus I would suggest tight somewhat straight (freehanded) parallel lines starting at the stem of the flower working upwards.  Thus your parallel lines will be going different directions in the different blocks as the flower is growing upwards at different angles.  Mirror the outside edge of the flower on the inside petals.  Feathers again in the green flower leaves.

Just my two cents... worth nothing more.  Looking forward to your finished masterpiece when it is done.

Cagey

33 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Dianna

I like Kathy's idea for piano keys on the boarder, but I would offset them 45 degrees or so to match the lines in the fabric.  Use the red/maroon highlight line, and go on either side of that...it looks to be about a 1/4 inch wide line.  Then evenly space the lines on the other colors.  

Yup!  That's what I meant as well, just didn't say it as well :D!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived