LauraB

Ideas anyone?

22 posts in this topic

This quilt has me stumped so I welcome any suggestions on how to quilt it. I can do an all over design, but was hoping to do something more custom. I have been searching photos online for ideas, but have not found the right inspiration yet. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback.

IMG_3523.JPG

You could take the semi-custom approach and isolate the borders and the sashing with SID to do something different from the scrappy rectangle areas which could be an all over fill. your borders and sashing, being light in colour and not to busy a print will show off your quilting, whereas the busy prints in the rectangles, not so much.  Connecting/continuous curves in your border squares and maybe a feather or vine motif in borders and sashing or whatever you want to see there.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Kathy :)

2016 APQS Lenni

HQ Sweet Sixteen Sitdown

Janome 6600P

This is a quilt I finished a few years ago.  The black sashing  strips coordinated with the outer borders only they were done larger with some leaves attached to the curls. The bars were mirrored into pairs and if you enlarge the photo, I hope you can see the stitching.  Just an idea for you.

IMG_1951.JPG

Edited by PattyJo
To add info

C9C76B5257D2C02397F9A72A2E02FC3D.png

APQS Millennium with Smooth M&M Wheels

Pat Noonan Design Studio, Custom Quilting

503-559-9686

pjnoonan@ymail.com

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

And another thought, I would do CC's on the squares

C9C76B5257D2C02397F9A72A2E02FC3D.png

APQS Millennium with Smooth M&M Wheels

Pat Noonan Design Studio, Custom Quilting

503-559-9686

pjnoonan@ymail.com

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Ok. PJ just took my idea of using 2 rectangles and making them into 1 block for a stencil design, or freehand design of your choice.

You could also (if you like Cross hatching).... after sectioning the rectangles to make 1 block, crosshatch horizontal the first block, then vertical the 2nd, then horizontal the 3rd, etc.  It will give those long stripes total definition.

<3 what PJ did in her sashing.  That area i'd use curvy anything, just like PJ did!!  Then you could Piano Key the last border, which will also bring out the straight crosshatching you did in the colored strips!

F55CA928B31BF9D50E35FB71F402EFB1.png Millennium/Circle Lord 402-450-8321 Designer of the 1/2" foot for Ult II's. 1sheributler@gmail.com

I would do some micro-stippling in the background and ditch the three towers of stips.  Then I would quilt echoing feathers in the outside border.  As for the inside border I would quilt a small little leaf pattern and the small squared triangles would be ditched as well.  That will make it pop to the eye.  But that's just me.   Zeke.   

C9A05C30E468F98BDBF3AA2DFD951ECF.png

by the hour.........................

APQS Ultimate I/Compuquilter

Millennium

ztrbrg@yahoo.com

Kynlie's baby quilt

Here's a baby quilt I did that has lots of strips.  I like to do a wiggly line along the long edges and you can stitch in the ditch on the ends.  I would do a feather fill in the light strips or some type of modern fill, whether flowers/pebbles, or leaves, etc.  CC in the small squares.

Debbie

Beautiful! I love the way the border complements the centre rectangles and the filler you used on the background. Your quilting really makes the quilt! Great job!

Sharon Wall

Quilting with my ‘Mustang Sally’ (Blissed Freedom with QP)

Beautiful.  Don't you love this site and especially when everything comes together!

Connie
Port Huron, MI   48060
APQS Sales Rep and Educator
Millennium with Intelliquilter (IQ)

"Be a good listener, your ears will never get you in trouble" Frank Tygr

sewsweetgator@aol.com
http://www.yoursite.com
287890c1690b93fca26ac74c1d32b308.png

That looks fantastic!  Great job, and pretty quilt!

Kathy :)

2016 APQS Lenni

HQ Sweet Sixteen Sitdown

Janome 6600P

Love the finished product!

Gail Olfert

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of times our breath is taken away

This is nice. I love all that background fill. The strips sure pop with the SID . Thanks for sharing.

signaturedimage

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying, 'Dang, that was fun'!

2017 Blissed Lenni and loving it!

Beautiful quilting!  I love how the piano keys in the borders balance with the rectangle SID.  

68580D71558C5CD4FA14E80CBBEC4870.png  Millenium with Circle Lord, Bliss and IQ

Very nice,

I love the colors and your piano key border, really looks great with the center rectangles :)

Beautiful Quilting!!

Rosemary