Counting down to retirement

I have 25 more days at work.  May 19th is my last day.  I have been at my office job for the last 27 years.  In December I turned 62 and wanted to retire then, but being a bookkeeper I had w-2's 1099's, all kinds of taxes and financials to get through first.  So in the beginning if March, I let my boss know that I would be retiring toward the end of May so he could find a replacement and I would have time to train them.  I am very excited but also a little worried that I jumped the gun.

I hope that I don't regret it.  When working for so long I think it will be hard to not have someplace to go every morning.

I am hoping to make my studio my first priority every morning.  If I can get into a routine of starting my day with at least a few hours of piecing or quilting or even cleaning and organizing my studio, that can help me restructure my retirement life.  Wish me luck!

I haven't decided if I want to go into business of quilting for others yet.  Possibly down the road, but for right now I think I have enough ufo's to keep me going for awhile.

Here is my latest work in progress.   I took out sone of yhose feathers that weren't very even and didn't cone out to the edge.

20170410_203442.jpg

Jeanne, you will NOT regret retiring. Your first few days of retirement will likely feel like a vacation. Let them! You have been pumping adrenaline and responsibility for 27 years - it takes a little time to come off of that and just rejoice in the freedom of each day.  When I retired 8 years ago, I quilted until I nearly burned out on it - so starved I was for the sewing machine. But things settled down - I got involved at my local senior center, taught line dancing and facilitated a quilting group.

A few years ago the DH and I moved to a very "quilter-friendly" area. So now I longarm for people, am active in my local guild, and enjoy a slow and quilty life.

Give yourself time to get your bearings in your new way of life. Then go where your heart leads you.

Be Blessed in your new quilty life!

Jeanne you won't regret it, although for me the only thing I missed was my paycheck :-).  I hated getting up and running around to get out of the house and then fight traffic so for me not to have to do that is wonderful.  Since I get the twins by 7:30 or so I get up at 6:30 so I can wake up for an hour.  I'm so not a morning person.  When the babies are old enough for school then I'll have plenty of time to sew and do what I want.  I love having time to work on the things I want to work on now.  I'm so happy you get to retire!  

Congratulations on retirement.  I retired the first time at 62.  Was off 15 months and they called me back and gave me a sob story about how they had hired 4 different people to fill my spot and the work wasn't getting done and could I please help the finish this one job.  So being a sucker I did....the pay was pretty inviting too.  Worked for another year and finished up that job and they wanted to send me to another one.  Nope....I said one job.

It took me about 6 months to get used to the thought of "I don't have to go back to work....I don't have to rush around...I can do what I want when I want and not have to get anybody's permission."

You will enjoy it.

P.S.  Your quilt is beautiful.

I was medically retired so no time to think about it.  I adjusted so well it was scary.  The hardest part was protecting my new found freedom.  People will take advantage of the fact you are home and do not have a job.  Learn early to say NO and mean it and make NO excuses.  Then enjoy your coffee and pajamas.  Once I was working on some stained glass in my garage dressed in my pajamas with the door open and the UPS guy delivered a package.  He commented that it must be nice to stay in my pajamas all day.  I let him know that I had been up since 4 am, showered, put on clean pajamas (because they are VERY comfortable) and had accomplished a great deal that day.  That's the last time I made an excuse to anyone for whatever I was doing.  I still wear my pajamas all day and I love quilting in them. Enjoy your retirement.

Jeanne,

Being a teacher meant I could retire after 35 years, but I waited until 38 years.  I haven't regretted anything.  You don't spend as much because you don't need as much.  Just don't eat as much because with all the running around an elementary teacher does, I was able to maintain my weight fairly easily. I always had 5,000 steps in by noon.  Now, it's a little harder to maintain the weight I want to be, especially since I love dark chocolate.  Enjoy your retirement.

When I retired My husband was so afraid he would come home to a crazy lady all teeth and claws.  Boy was he wrong I'd loved it from the first day!!!  I laugh when I read Libby she's right don't substitute food for work.  I gained weight at first but I got pass that!!  I retired first and it was great freedom, it changed a bit when hubby retired but it's still good.  

Congratulations!  Beautiful quilt!

when I retired early due to medical issues.....I missed work....for about 5 seconds.....and now I know my true calling....I was born to be retired....seriously...don't commit to too much....take it slow adding things in one at a time...it is very easy to get overloaded and end up having to schedule all your time...don't do it!!!!!  You have worked...now it is up to you to decide how much you want to do....don't like to say it...but be careful with church groups...they always need help....so....I just picked two activities there...and I am sticking to my guns..ok on occasions...I will do an extra task or two...tee hee.....Lin

Jeanne,

First off - congratulations!!  I have a pretty good idea how you're feeling. I've worked at the University of Idaho for over 26 years, I'll be 56 this month and I'm retiring on May 31st. I am so excited I can hardly sit still. It's kinda scary and really exciting all at the same time. 

I'm counting too.  I actually started my count down about four years ago.  I get to my minimum retirement age in August 2018 and am not sure if I will retire at the end of August or the end of December, but next year is it for me. No way I could make it until I'm 62.  I admire the people who could stick it out that long though.   I will have 33 years of continual federal service by Feb next year.   I'm soooooo ready.  As for the financial pay cut.  I'll adjust.  Since I don't have debt anymore, I think I can manage on a significantly reduced income, but if not, I've already had a couple offers from local quilt stores for me to work with them part-time after I retire.  I'm also considering teaching part-time at one of the local community colleges.  Right now I'm just looking forward to the longest best vacation ever!  17 months and 11 days (minimum) to 20 months 11 days (maximum). 

Lora, I retired ten years ago from the Feds and never missed a day of it. Occasionally I have a nightmare that I'm back at work. LOL. You'll be amazed how fewer $$$ it takes not having to go to work. I cut my wardrobe down and of course the auto expenses. Loving going to my sewing room everyday. 

Congratulations Jeanne!  My husband and I retired young about ten years ago.  A lot of people asked what on earth we were going to do with our time at our age.  Well, it wasn't long after retiring, before we wondered how we ever had time to work!!  It was so nice not to have commitments on our time, in fact I refused to have them for the first few years.  This is the time you worked for! Relax and enjoy it!

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, Kueser said:

Lora, I retired ten years ago from the Feds and never missed a day of it. Occasionally I have a nightmare that I'm back at work. LOL. You'll be amazed how fewer $$$ it takes not having to go to work. I cut my wardrobe down and of course the auto expenses. Loving going to my sewing room everyday. 

Those would be nightmares in deed.  Thanks for the laugh. 

I know I probably shouldn't be counting just yet, but boy oh boy am I eager for the day to come.  I'll never make it until I'm 62 (another 7 1/2 years).  That just seems like an eternity.  And to be honest, the extra 10% bump won't make much of a difference in the overall payout (at least that's what I'm telling myself so that I'm not tempted to stay any longer than absolutely necessary.)  Besides, if I do get to the point where money is tight, I can always pick up a part time job somewhere much closer to home. 

Lora,  I am eager, too!  I have two years until I can get my machine and 4 1/2 until retirement and it feels like an ETERNITY!!!!  DH wants me to wait until I am 65 or 66, so I told him I would be glad to work longer than age 62, but at a job of MY CHOOSING, which will be longarm quilting.  I will have a pension from my job, so will just need supplemental income.

Omg, I just got my 10 year certificate and pin for Federal Service Friday, add on to that my 27 years in the Navy!  I'm 64 so why don't I retire too.  My hubby retired fully last year when we moved to Michigan.  Guess I've been scared off by his really small " Navy retirement and SSN" checks. Help!

• 2 weeks later...

Since you have a hobby you love I think you will enjoy retirement. The only people we know who don't enjoy being retired are those with no interests. They sit and stare all day and complain. Folks who have hobbies and get up and move all seem to love retirement. I bet you will too.

Your quilt is lovely BTW. The quilting is really enhancing your applique.

Jeanne:

I wish you the best in retirement.  If you get the opportunity, pickup the May 2017 copy of Money.  There is a great article on "How to Become a Happy Retiree".  I could not find the actual article online, but here are some past articles that address the subject;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2016/03/27/the-9-keys-to-a-happy-retirement/#7d9a0cd140e8

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/powell/2016/05/25/6-ways-have-happy-retirement/83547956/

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/retirement/T062-C000-S001-what-will-make-you-truly-happy-in-retirement.html

http://time.com/money/3656252/happy-retirement-tips-advice/

Just like you have to plan out how your going to quilt a quilt top, you have to have a plan as how your going to spend your retirement.  Enjoy your retirement.  I bet in a few months your going to wonder how you ever fit work and all the things you do now into your day.  Best wishes.

Cagey 

• 4 weeks later...

Well my retirement has been postponed for awhile.  Unfortunately my replacement quit during training, The Monday before I was to retire.  so now I am once again going to be doing the training as soon as we get a new person hired.  Oh, well llike I told my husband, Another Day another Dollar.  No big deal, it will come just a few extra paychecks to add to the fund.   I am ready for that New Millie as well. So come on let's just do it.   YAY!!

Archived