Problems with Oiling Bobbin Area

Hi, I've had a lot of trouble with thread break, backlash etc since getting my new to me machine 3 months ago. It's run pretty well the last 6 or 7 quilts I've done with minimal thread break and good tension. I hadn't oiled the bobbin area in all that time as last time I did I got horrible backlash, loop and thread breaks. I oiled the bobbin area again last night and the same thing happened. I've attached a picture - it's almost like a chain stitch on the back! When I tighten the top tension the thread breaks immediately. Has anyone else had anything like this happen when they oil the machine?

Oil.jpeg

I would check and make sure that I am inserting the bobbin in fully and that the bobbin is placed in the right way (turning the right direction)......when I first got my machine...I ended up printing off the manual and on each thread or bobbin change, I took the page from the manual and made sure I did it that way it said......make sure you are hearing that "click" when the bobbin case is inserted fully into the machine.....good luck....Lin

You said you had done 6 or 7 quilts with no problems.  So here are some questions, and this would be my check list for myself:

1. Did you clean your machine and oil each time, or at least check the wicks and oil the bobbin between quilts?

2. Did you change the thread and use a different cone?

3. Top threaded correctly?

4. Any lint caught in the bobbin case?

5. Bobbin is feeding correctly, so facing the right way.

I don't know which machine you have, but if you have gone through everything, and are still having problems. I would call APQS and tell them what is going on. They may have you send this picture so they can see what it looks like. I have always had excellent service when I call in and they fix the problem easily over the phone.

Dell:  Your stitches look like you don't have adequate top tension.  You're pulling the top thread to the back.  Do you have the top thread properly threaded.  Pay special attention to how the thread is routed through the 3 hole pre-tension mech, and how it goes through the take up spring.  When you don't have adequate top tension, the thread loops on the back, knots, and breaks.  If you have a practice piece, tighten your top tension way more than you think you need, and do some stitching.  See if tension adjustment helps.  Simply tightening the top may solve the problem.  Good luck.  Jim

Lots of good advice.  I was recently having a similar problem, and was told to be sure the check spring is inserted correctly in the bobbin case and if you're using magna glide bobbins to clean the bobbin case as oil can build up there too, if it has the bobbin continues to turn even with the magnetic bobbin.  I ran a q-tip around inside mine and it was oily (never thought that would happen).  If none of this works call APQS, they are awesome and want to help make sure you're up and running.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been emailing with Amy at APQS (I'm in Australia) working through all these issues but she's away for a couple of weeks so thought I'd see if anyone else had any ideas of what I could try. Some good suggestions here - I'll go spend some time now working through them!

don't know if you have solved the problem....but another thought....more than once I could not figure out why I wasn't getting good stitches...well...more than a few of those times....I finally found the problems...you know that wire spring that sticks out form the tension assembly...forgot name....well make sure your thread is pulling that spring down when you pull on the thread....it keeps the tension on the thread as the needle goes up and down....more than once....I have tried stitching without the thread being in position....so now...after threading....I always give my top thread a tug through the needle and make sure it pulls that spring down....Lin

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, Delle said:

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been emailing with Amy at APQS (I'm in Australia) working through all these issues but she's away for a couple of weeks so thought I'd see if anyone else had any ideas of what I could try. Some good suggestions here - I'll go spend some time now working through them!

Sad to hear you are still having problems. The bobbles on the back look like a top thread too fast feed thingie! (are you using the wonder tape on the Glide thread as a thread net).

Think I have also said something about the tension spring resting at 11 and under tension at 9 O'clock.

Do you have a Brand new genuine APQS bobbin case that you could try?  Some of the Ebay ones might fit but they do not stitch perfectly. I am home tody and tomorrow if you want to try phone trouble shooting.

Email Angie@apqs at APQS.  They have been in Shows hot and heavy here.  Angie helped me retime my machine via FaceTime.  I suggest taking pictures of your threading at each path and send them to Angie@APQS.com.  It could be a simple missed thread.  Check that it is under the hook after the tension disc.  Attached is picture of what I was speaking of.  Try to loosen top tension then blowing out with canned arir then retighned.  Then floss the thread into the tensions.  Hope this helps.  

IMG_1777.JPG

Archived