Crosshatch

Genie

HI,. 

I just noticed your post here, and I don't have an answer for you, but you might find you'll get a quicker response if it is posted in the Chat About Anything section directly or under Techinical advice.  I'm a new longarm quilter, so I'd be interested in hearing the answer too! :D.  The only way I would think to do it is to mark it then stitch it as "W"'s across the available area then advance the quilt.  However, your question makes me wonder if there is a Pantograph available to do this, although I'm think it would be tricky to get it lined up from one pass to the next...  Good luck!  

• 2 weeks later...

Crosshatching with a computerized system is tough because of fabric draw up and matching each point across the quilt after each roll.  I haven't crosshatched an entire quilt but did crosshatching on a custom quilt surrounding all the blocks. I used a ruler from quilters apothecary made for crosshatching. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Crosshatching can be done on a 45 degree or any angle.  I have made two large right triangles of fabric to match the angle I choose, sew one to the top left and one to the bottom right corner of the quilt top, creating a new rectangle,  mounting the quilt so that I can use the lock on my machine to stitch a perfectly horizontal line across the quilt top but is in fact at 45 or 60 degrees.  Then I remount it to stitch the other line in the crosshatching. It is fast and accurate, but takes time to set up.  Once the set up is done the lines almost stitch themselves on their own.  It works for me - but is a time consuming work of love. 

2 hours ago, caddyhomes said:

Crosshatching can be done on a 45 degree or any angle.  I have made two large right triangles of fabric to match the angle I choose, sew one to the top left and one to the bottom right corner of the quilt top, creating a new rectangle,  mounting the quilt so that I can use the lock on my machine to stitch a perfectly horizontal line across the quilt top but is in fact at 45 or 60 degrees.  Then I remount it to stitch the other line in the crosshatching. It is fast and accurate, but takes time to set up.  Once the set up is done the lines almost stitch themselves on their own.  It works for me - but is a time consuming work of love. 

That's a cool idea! Especially when doing a LOT of cross hatching on a quilt. Will have to give this a try sometime... Thanks for sharing 

Archived