Bobbin pile up

Is your needle new?  I've found that if the needle is not very sharp, you can get "pokies" on the back side of the quilt. 

It also looks like you may want to tighten up the top tension or lower the bobbin tension.  I'd recommend practicing on the selvage portion of the backing until you get it set just right.  I usually lay another piece of fabric and batting over the backing (not on the quilt top) and test a little there.  It's easy enough to remove after you are all done, and this way you don't have to take the whole quilt off the frame.  Also, if you are going to trim out the quilt for binding, this little test piece will just come off when you trim.  Just make sure you are using the same kind of batting that is in your quilt sandwich otherwise the results won't match what you are working on now. 

I agree the top tension is too loose. Also, do you have batting in the thread guide above the cone as a pre-tension? Are you weaving at the 3-hole guide above the tension gage? The goal is to keep the top thread tight from the cone to the needle. 

Judith,  I am free handing.  I have tightened my top tension and put some batting in the thread guide above the spool.  It is looking much better.  I was going pretty slow but will slow down some more.  I feel like a snail sometime.  I did ask the APQS office if I would danger the machine by going too slowly.  they said no, it was designed to stitch as slowly as I wanted.  I was glad to hear that.  I will post more from a sampler I am working on.  Thanks for the info.

What type and wt. of Thread are you using in bobbin and top?  What batting is being used? I have this most with Warm and White when I use 2 different colors and wts of thread.   Can you send pictures of how the top is threaded thought all the loops.   I had that happen and it was the way the thread was looped through the loops for the brand of thread I was using.   What is the bobbin size L or M?  

Judith, i am using superior so fine 40 on top and superior bottom line pink prewound and super bob white pre wound in LBobbin

I think this is getting better. Thie pink bobbin is better. I also putthe batting above ths cone. Should the batting wrap around the thread guide. 20170501_175156.jpg.9716aba26828a2b6f5d0792dfbee3d25.jpg20170501_175138.jpg.9c14cceef12dd4323984e11a74575638.jpg

20170501_175107.jpg

20170501_175009.jpg

Archived