Not as Easy as I Hoped

On 4/30/2017 at 9:39 AM, T Row Studio said:

If I was buying the clip system get the red Snappers they are more of a hard rubber instead of a plastic I had several of my plastic version crack and breat I invested in the red snappers and love them....what do you mean finishes it up Linda?

The video I watched ended before he finished putting the top on....

On 4/30/2017 at 3:35 PM, MaryQuiltsTx said:

Terry this video cuts off right before he gets the top loaded. Kinda odd? I have the leader grips and they do tend to crack after awhile. I may have to try the snappers. Do you know if they use the same size dowel?

Linda there is another one. It is from Sparrow Studio too and has a lady loading the quilt the same way he does. If you go to the end of this one, other choices pop up and you can see her, she has short dark hair and is wearing a black shirt.

Thanks, Mary!!

Mary, when you get a new machine it is like getting a new pet; it take time to bond with one another. In time with practice you will learn all the little corks of your machine and what methods work well. Have faith and don't give up.  When I use a panto I line it up to the quilt; your quilt for many reasons may not line up perfectly. The quilt could be off by the slightest amount and you may not notice until your half way or more quilting it. I'm sure the other members have great advice for you. I suggest try all the suggestion and find out what works best for you. Good luck and happy quilting!

Mary

Get a notebook, and write down what works and what does not work for you using different thread, fabric, batting, etc.  Keeping notes is a good idea, because there more than likely there will be a thread or batting combination you do not remember as to how you set up your machine to get the best results. I try to write down all the thread types/colors I used, that way in the future if I had to re-quilt a project it will hopefully match.

Cagey

Y'all are great. I really appreciate all the advice and I do take note of them all!  I had some time to practice over the past week and I am starting to get the feel of it.  Rosemary was right about gripping the handles....don't do it! As soon as I released the death grip and just used my fingertips, things changed dramatically for the better. I guess sheer strength is not the way to go. LOL I should know this from all my days of horseback riding, some of these fillies just need a light hand and Lenni is one of them. ;)

I just realized Liam made a pet comparison and I made a horse one, maybe I am on the right track after all. :D

It does sew beautifully. My top thread breaks occasionally so I am still trying to find that sweet spot in the tension. But compared to my old machine.....hey this is a breeze!

Thanks again for all the advice. Four quilts done and I ain't counting how many to go!!!

Hi Mary,

I am so happy that my suggestion to only use your finger tips helped you glide your new Lenny :)   The advice from everyone on here is PRICELESS !!

With 4 completed you must be having a great time.

Enjoy your new machine and I will be watching for posted Completed Quilts :)

Rosemary

Yes Rosemary, the fingertips made all the difference. I did a fall leaf panto and was blown away by how good it looked. I had no trouble following it and each tip is sharp...not an eyelash to be found...and I was not exactly slowing down when I got to them either. And I did the whole quilt (nice lap size) without the thread breaking once. The initial cost may have shocked me a bit :o but I have no regrets. I have done this panto before on my old machine and every leaf would have an eyelash at the tip...no matter what I did, they were there. These stitches are so even also, much nicer looking than before. Yes, no regrets. :wub:

Hey Mary.. I am so happy to hear that You and Lenni are having such a great time.  Did you post your quilts somewhere else that I can view them?? 

Which Fall Leaf Panto did you just do?  I am looking for Pantos that have the stitching lines at least 1.5 to 2 inches apart.. there don't seem to be many that I can find that are big open designs.

I wish I had your 8 years of experience..  

Keep having a Blast :) 

Ps: I would love to show you a picture of my 1950 truck, but I don't think that is appropriate on here .  What do you have?

I used the Falling Leaves panto by Dave Hudson. It does have a bit smaller spacing but not bad to do at all. You get in a rythym and it just goes.

Image result for Falling Leaves panto

I like the more open pantos too. Dense quilting, while it can be pretty, is harder to do when following a panto. At least it is to me. I get interrupted often when quilting and can easily lose my way on the really intricate ones. And I learned, if I don't enjoy doing the panto ,I don't use it. I was very lucky when I started out in that I was given a lot of pantos by a friend who went computerized. So I learned that lesson for free because she had some intricate ones. It's a tough lesson to learn at $16-$20 per panto. Have a look at this website. Folks post about pantos and kinda review them. I have a list from there for pantos I would like to buy.

http://mqresource.com/forum/index.php?/forum/32-hand-guided-panto-previews/?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

I haven't posted any pics yet. The first two practice ones were nothing to write home about :blush: and this one belongs to a friend who is ill. I quilted her last two she made and I am sewing the bindings on for her. As soon as I get one of my own done I will post pictures.

Oh and Hubby's truck is a '67 Ford, turquoise color. It is in dire need of some TLC and is one of the first projects on his list when he retires in two years.

Archived