Triple Barn Star

This is a quilt kit I purchased from Craftsy a couple of years ago that l finally made up and have just finished the quilting on. It will be a Wedding gift to a friend's daughter who was married this week. Our girls started Grade 2 together and they are now early 30's. You can't but wonder where all that time went!

I learned a few things on this quilt, which is par for the course, especially now that I am quilting on the Lenni. How to handle a vertically pieced backing...make sure you don't miss that batting you use to take up the slack on the rollers, they don't all "fall out". Ask me how I know:blush:.  The pattern of the quilt isn't throat size friendly for a Lenni, so lots of rolling ahead and back in those big triangles and I turned the quilt to quilt the last two big feathers and the medium sized ones and found pinning to the leaders didn't require as much extra fabric on the edges to work. Tried some new quilting motifs and some went better than others. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.  

IMG_4633.JPG

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kathy

I hope during all those years, you taught the little girl to respect the fabric.  You piecing and quilting are absolutely gorgeous.  I love your feathers.  You put a great deal of work and love into this quilt, and I hope and pray she cherishes it as much as it deserves.  Thank you for sharing.

Cagey

Thank you everyone for your very kind comments and encouragement!  At times I think I'm getting the hang of it, at others, I'm sure I'm never going to get there!  All the help available on this forum has been invaluable to me in figuring out how to get it done!

29 minutes ago, Gator said:

Wow, just beautiful.  I wish I had that pattern.

Thanks Gator!  I looked it up for someone else this morning. It is Amy Gibson's @ https://shop.stitcherydickorydock.com/collections/shop-home/products/triple-barnstar-quilt-pattern.  It is easy enough to piece with a lot of HST's so used spray starch to keep them in line ;) .  

56 minutes ago, Plumpurple said:

Wow, beautiful just beautiful!  Absolutely stunning, maybe some day I can be just half that good.  I don't know what a HST is, could somebody please tell me?  

Thank you!  Practice practice.  It is a learned skill, so you absolutely can do it!   HST = Half Square Triangle, and I mentioned the spray starch as it helps control the stretch of the bias somewhat, so your block doesn't get distorted in pressing and sewing.

Kathy, that is absolutely fabulous work.  Yes, it takes PPP, but there is also some talent there that has nothing to do with practice. 

I want to ask you how you go about forming your shadow stars in the open spaces; size, placement forming the shape, etc.? BTW I'm referring to another quilt that you posted. Olaf, I think? I have an uneven border that I need to fill and it can't be feathers and there are random star blocks in the border that makes it uneven and I thought maybe shadow stars and piano keys.

8 minutes ago, JBQuilts said:

Kathy, that is absolutely fabulous work.  Yes, it takes PPP, but there is also some talent there that has nothing to do with practice. 

I want to ask you how you go about forming your shadow stars in the open spaces; size, placement forming the shape, etc.? BTW I'm referring to another quilt that you posted. Olaf, I think? I have an uneven border that I need to fill and it can't be feathers and there are random star blocks in the border that makes it uneven and I thought maybe shadow stars and piano keys.

Thank you for your comments.  I'm not sure what you're looking for in regard to the stars.  Are you referring to the Olaf quilt with the royal blue border with half stars and backfill, or the mostly white Olaf quilt I donated with stars trailing thru an open area in a couple of different sizes?  I made a few Olaf quilts :rolleyes:.  Either way, they are from a template provided in one of Judi Madsen's quilt patterns, I think it was Serendipity.  It's an eight pointed star you could easily draft out with some graph paper.  I made a cardboard template of it and traced the outline onto the quilt.  Make it the size you need for your space. Stitch exterior and interior lines then continuous curves to finish.  Quilt around it with a small fill.  Does that cover it for you?  Hope it helps!

Archived