Different kind of top thread breakage

So I am still pretty new with my Lenni and am having an occasional top thread breakage problem that is a bit different. I am used to having the top thread break and due to tension and movement, the thread goes flying, flips up over the machine, comes out of several threading holes, etc. But this is different, the top thread apparently breaks and almost immediately locks back in with the bobbin thread and keeps quilting. It only skips 2-3 stitches. How the heck does it do that! It was only by chance that I even noticed it. There are no long ends and the bobbin thread just makes a long stitch so hard to see that too. I am glad I spotted it when I was hand sewing the binding on. I went over each of the four quilts I did and found 2 places on one and one each on two others. I hope I found all of them because it is barely noticeable. Anyone have any ideas on how this happens? any ideas on what I may be doing or should be doing.

I know APQS machines are good but good enough to break a thread and keep going? This is a talent I wish Lenni didn't have. :o

Mary:  I think Dawn addressed this question several years ago, and if I recall correctly, she said that the thread didn't quite break - a single fiber stayed in tact - and that's what allowed it to continue stitching.  Looks like it broke, but it didn't really.  I don't recall whether your machine was actually new, or merely new to you.  If it's just new to you, you may have damage to a thread guide, needle plate, or timing issues.  I just completed a T shirt quilt that I had all sorts of problems with.  I couldn't tell whether it was the quilt top or my machine.  After I finished SID on all the blocks I changed thread color, and had no further problems.  The same YLI Longarm Professional thread, just a different color.  I've concluded the problem was the thread, not the machine.  So it might even be your thread.  I hope I've help you search.  Good luck at discovering what's wrong.  Jim

Oh fun. An invisible, barely there, thread of a thread eh?  Well these are fixed so too late to check but I guess if it happens again I will try to see if there is anything there catching. Won't solve problem, just curious. I used the same thread brand, just different colors on these four. So each of the ones with a break had a different color. So that doesn't narrow it down much. It happens so rarely it will be a tough catch. Kinda makes you paranoid since they are so hard to see. I wonder if there is a burr on the needle? You'd think it would happen more often if there were but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Thanks Jim, I'll start checking things.

• 1 month later...

Archived