Computerized quilting

I am on my 3rd system and from day one I have never looked back. My first computer was a CompuQuilter which was an absolute dream (I was the first APQS retail customer to get this system installed on my Millie in 2005) - it was so easy to use and understand. Unfortunately, due to many illnesses, the company went out of business and there was no longer any support and the system ran on an XP computer which was beginning to give me problems in 2014 or 2014. I decided to sell it and get another system which turned out to be not the best fit for me. I did not like at all. It did not "think like I did" and I could not get it to do what I needed it to do although I have seen some amazing quilts done using this system. It just wasn't the one for me. I now have an IntelliQuilter and I really like it. It can do so much but I have only just learned a tiny fraction of what it can do. The support system for this computer is great and there are several chat groups you can join.

I say, don't be nervous. Just go for the system that you think fits you the best. Be sure to try it out and really learn what it can and cannot do and how easy it is to use. My mistake of taking someone else word for how easy it was to use was quite costly to me.

I was nervous about spending the money but needed to bring my daughter into my business and we didn't have the time for her to develop her freehand quilting skills.  Have loved having quilt path--it thinks like we do.  The 2 day class was a wonderful thing, my daughter designs some of our patterns and we both enjoy using it.  Don't worry.

After a lot of research, and a six month delay because I chickened out, I purchased my Millie and had the Intelliquilter system installed.  My only regret was the six months I lost out on using this wonderful machine with IQ by being anxious about spending the money!  I love my IQ and wouldn't trade it for any other system!

I was initially worried about getting a computer due to the learning curve and money.  I was invited to try out the IQ on a quilter's machine.  Showed me its capabilities, and had me lay out a quilt on the screen.  I was sold the minute she showed me I could "do it".  I have never looked back or questioned the purchase.  Quilt Path wasn't available when I bought my IQ in 2010. 

Debbie, there's lots of sites that offer QP designs.  Most digitizers will format the designs in various formats, you just pick yours.  Digitech and Intelligent Quilting both do their designs in all formats.  Others do also, those are the two that I use most.

I hope you share with us your computerized journey. I have wondered if I want to add this or not. I wonder about the learning curve, how steep a curve is it? Would I regret it? I am sure a lot of others have wondered also. Would love to learn from your discoveries. Have fun and i hope you never have regrets. ^_^

On 5/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, Sue E. said:

I am on my 3rd system and from day one I have never looked back. My first computer was a CompuQuilter which was an absolute dream (I was the first APQS retail customer to get this system installed on my Millie in 2005) - it was so easy to use and understand. Unfortunately, due to many illnesses, the company went out of business and there was no longer any support and the system ran on an XP computer which was beginning to give me problems in 2014 or 2014. I decided to sell it and get another system which turned out to be not the best fit for me. I did not like at all. It did not "think like I did" and I could not get it to do what I needed it to do although I have seen some amazing quilts done using this system. It just wasn't the one for me. I now have an IntelliQuilter and I really like it. It can do so much but I have only just learned a tiny fraction of what it can do. The support system for this computer is great and there are several chat groups you can join.

I say, don't be nervous. Just go for the system that you think fits you the best. Be sure to try it out and really learn what it can and cannot do and how easy it is to use. My mistake of taking someone else word for how easy it was to use was quite costly to me.

I am also Considering computerized but wish to try hands on QP and IQ. I was not impressed with who I was referred to with IQ, and overwhelmed with the emails from the entire IQ users world for so called support. Also was told I was expected to pay for entire travel trip to set up but initial training free, which didn't make sense. Will try hands on before I make a choice to go forward.

Deborajean, where do you live?  There's a ton of quilters here who have the QP and/or IQ.   Most of us are willing to let you take a test run on our machines.  I bought my IQ back in 2010 and yes I had to pay for the dealer's trip to my house for installation, the initial training came with the IQ free but was given at the installation.   Just like our APQS machines a lot of the customers are doing their own IQ install. 

When I bought my APQS longarm machine in 2006 I did freehand and pantographs until around 2011 when I purchased my computerized system. I consider my computerized system to be "just another option" and "just another tool" in my toolbox for quilting choices. Even though I have a computer system, I still do freehand custom and freehand edge to edge. I still use rulers. And I also use my computer system for pantographs and custom designs. All of these options are tools for me to choose from. The computer system has been a great purchase for me. Mainly because it provides my customers more choices. It also saves time. Saving time means saving money for customers and saving time for me. It's been a great investment.

Archived