Totally finished with label

Happy Mother's Day to ALL the Wonderful Mom's out there!

Here is the Quilt totally finished with the label. "Hand sewn on :) "

For all of you out there that are shaking your head at the machine sewn on binding.. I'm sorry, I just can't hand sew. My hands go numb on me :(

Happy Quilting,

Rosemary

P5140001.JPG

P5140003.JPG

Love the label.  The binding look great.  I most of the time now sew mine down by machine.  I use to would not even think about it, but now I use the machine to sew everything.  I only do my own, so I felt like it would not make a difference, and looking at them, they look just fine.

Let the head shakers shake.  Binding is another personal choice on the part of the quilt creator.  I sew mine by hand because I like doing it.  Others prefer to do machine bindings.  Either way, quilts get finished, given, used, loved, and appreciated.

I love your label!  Was it done on an embroidery machine?  I use printable fabric for my labels, but would love to make one as nice as yours.

Pretty label, I embroidery my labels too.  As for the binding, I machine sew mine too.  If I hand sewed my binding it would look horrible, and the quilt would never get done.  What else are we going to use all those fancy stitches on our DSM for (I thought the DSM manual listed them as "binding stitches" !!!!

2 hours ago, Gator said:

Pretty label, I embroidery my labels too.  As for the binding, I machine sew mine too.  If I hand sewed my binding it would look horrible, and the quilt would never get done.  What else are we going to use all those fancy stitches on our DSM for (I thought the DSM manual listed them as "binding stitches" !!!!

Is that what all those fancy stitches are for? Well that's good to know! ;) Getting more and more where I don't care for the hand sttching, might be time to test some of those out!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments,

Cagey, I posted the quilt under topic "My Accomplished Quilting" on here, you can see the top there without the binding on yet.

Betsy, yes the label is Embroidery, what I did was select the biggest "built in" heart shape that fits my Babylocks biggest hoop, this one is 7inches at the widest point and 6 inches tall.

I also selected a font that is already in my machine.  I don't want to sound like I am tooting my own horn, but this label that I turned into a John Deere tractor with a round bale of hay in the wagon, to go on a John Deere quilt for a little boy, just turned out to be my FAVORITE 

P5290451.JPG

P5290450 (1).JPG

P6030450.JPG

P6030451.JPG

<covering eyes>   Y'all STOP!!!!!!!  If you don't quit this RIGHT NOW, I am going to want an embroidery machine and haven't even got my longarm yet!  (I have been telling my daughter I thought she could do embroidery as a home-based business, so if she bites, I could get my pretty labels that way!)

Love the John Deere!!!!  Great imagination.  I like to use the embroidery photo frames at Embroidery Library for my labels.  Instead of cutting the fabric away in the center for pictures, I embroidery my info on it. 

These labels are beautiful. I almost wish I had a sewing or embroidery machine that could accomplish this. I just don't think we can teach this old dog new tricks :D I love the binding. If I could figure out how to do that and make it look that nice, you can bet I would do it every time.

Hey Connie, Great idea for those Photo Frames.. I will keep that in mind.

Mary Beth..  you would be a pro at Embroidery right out of the box :)  Just like quilting.. the threads , and all the products out on the market now to make it so fool proof are amazing.  Don't ever think you are too old, purchase a  good quality machine and like an APQS machine.. the results speak for themselves ! 

I'm glad everyone likes the label.. I just realized looking at it that I forgot my signature 2 little paw prints .. I have 2 cats and when I finish something, since they have been along for the whole ride, they get to put their seal of approval on the label , one paw print each :)   I guess I was so impressed with that bale of hay that I just completely forgot :(

Thanks everyone,  Mary, your a hoot!!

Nancy,, glad I could show you some extra ideas :)  You will have a fun time with your new machine

Connie,  Your the one that still has to punch that time card, so let me know what a good time would be for you.. hopefully, it won't be the day Hubby wants to put the boat in the water :)

Where do you think 1/2 way between us would be?  Takes me about 1hr.15 to get to Saginaw, so somewhere just South of there. :)

How much farther south is Birch Run?  I'd have to look at a map.

Rosemary, I love that John Deere quilt!  What a great idea to do the label that way!

Birch Run is only about 20 minutes south of Saginaw.  It is also very close to Frankenmuth, where there is a cute quilt shop.  At least it's cute from the outside.  I have not been in Frankenmuth when it is open. :(

Deb, You can do it..  I need to go back and do it the way Connie does, I used to do it that way, and sewing to the back and bringing it around to the front definitely allows you to see that you are overlapping your seam on the back.. your still SID on the back, but overlapping on the front.  It does take practice, the biggest problem is what width to cut your strips. I have a problem with that because i'm always adding more thickness with as much batting as I can so my quilts are puffier. :)  Good luck

Betsy, Frankenmuth might be a great place, maybe we can introduce Connie to Bronners too :)  That would be a good 1.5 to 2 hrs travel for me.

We certainly have to figure out a plan to get together,  and checking out Frankenmuth's quilt shop would be an added bonus :)

Rosemary

Archived