Machine sewing binding

I know several of you machine sew binding on and I could use a "Machine sewing binding for dummies" course. I have made the double binding that adds a flange. You sew it to the back first and then SID along the flange from the front. That one works okay for me. But making that double binding is extra work and sometimes I am not in the mood. The method I would like to master is where you stitch the binding on the front, fold to the back, SID along the front edge and it stitches down the back.

Do you pin, glue, staple, duct tape or what to keep that binding folded snugly so that you catch that back edge? I know I am missing something simple in this process, at least I hope it is simple. I keep going on and off the edge in the back when I do this. :angry:  Is my binding too narrow? How wide do y'all make your binding when you do this? Pins seem awkward to get into this narrow space and I have to use a lot and by the end I look like I have been in a cat fight and lost. :( I am just not picking up on what I am doing wrong. I have watched tons of videos and still wander on and off the back edge. I saw a special foot demo'ed at a show last year and maybe it was the lady demo'ing it, but that was a disaster so I am not keen on spending money on that.

Rosemary just showed her quilt label and her binding is machine sewn on so nicely, the amount of space from the stitch line to the edge of the binding is so even. I want to be able to sew on binding like that. So please share any secrets that you may have. Thanks so much. :)

I want to be able to do a better job on my domestic sewing on the binding. Can't seem to get it folded around to the back and be able to stitch it down from the front. Always run off the edge of the binding here and there.

I did totally miss this video though. Thanks for posting this Nigel. I didn't even know this was possible until I joined this forum. It's fun to learn new things all the time.

I sew my binding with my DSM.  I've used every method out there to fold my binding and hold it for sewing.  Find one you are comfortable with.  Hopefully, we'll get lots of ideas here.  I actually sew mine on the back first,  then fold to the front and use a decorative stitch on the front.  I used to use the clear water solvable  Elmer's glue to keep the back and front even but the Clover wonder clips hold the binding fairly tight for sewing.  Just like everything else in our quilty world there's a million ways to do everything.  I think the only place that still requires hand sewn binding is shows.

I think it's the million ways that are tripping me up. I never follow directions exactly (ahem, and I wonder why I encounter problems) I tend to put my twist on everything. By the time you put a twist on a million different ways, you have no idea where you are anymore! :D I need to go through the methods again, one at at time and see how they work for me I guess. Maybe I'll hit on something this go round. I don't think I have tried the Wonder clips, maybe that would help me out. I could see where they would be better than pins. Thanks Connie. 

Mary,

Definitely the Wonder clips.. I tried the pins too and I was also missing some spots in the back.  And Ohhhhh I hate it when they stick me!!  I have the red ones and everyone is different.. I like a wider binding.. so on that last quilt you seen, I cut those strips 3.25 and then when I stitched it to the top.. I had a 3/8ths inch seam.. now remember I did have two layers of batting.. but I really have noticed that with Lucey sewing down the edge a 1/4 inch in.. that really makes a big difference. (I think) anyway, I think the red clips are 1/2inch and when I really tugged against the binding seam before rolling it to the back.. (make sure no pleats trying to stay in that seam)  then I could hold it tight and clip it.. the front of the clip on the right side just made it to my seam.. and I could then look on the back and see that I had about 1/8inch sticking out past the clip.. so I knew I was going to catch that much.

0003 pic.. you know sew to the white pin and then angle off the corner (red pin) this is my 3/8th seam

0006 pic I think the pins distort and that is why sometimes you catch it and sometimes you don't

40003 Clips from the backside

4004 &5  I pull the binding tight with my right hand to make sure there is no fold in the seam, then fold it over my fingers and then put the clip on.. then you can recheck on the back side to make sure you have a nice even amount of fabric that your going to catch when you SID from the top.

Trust me.. mine isn't perfect.. but, I'm happy, big job and it is done and on it's way to Florida :)

hope this helps you out some.. I was hoping others would chime in here.. i'm certainly no expert at this.

Have Fun..

P5020003.JPG

P5030006.JPG

P5040003.JPG

P5040004.JPG

P5040005.JPG

Thanks Rosemary. I think having a bit wider binding would really make this easier. For what I do now-- machine front and hand sew back-- I use 2 1/4" binding and I am able to hand stitch it right on the seam from the front. It's just too narrow for machine sewing so I will play with different widths. I like the look of the slightly wider binding on the front too.  Just never thought about it.  I made a note card with your measurements for future reference. Since you are using a full inch larger than me, I will start with some scraps and build up from mine to yours.

I think we get in ruts, you are taught one way to do something and just go along plowing that rut deeper till you feel trapped. I was taught narrow binding and hand sewing....so I make narrow binding and hand sew. Well throw me a strip of binding....I'm climbing out of this rut!

I need more wonder clips. I had a set, EVERY single one of them broke. All in the same spot. I did without for a long time but finally bought another small pack on sale. So I would need a lot more. I see Amazon has them by the bucketfuls. Cheap too compared to Wonder clips. Think I'll buy a bucket and try them out. I would like to be able to do a side or two without having to stop and re-clip.

Oh and my daughter caught a mistake I was making a while back. I was complaining about my fabric being pushed along when I was sewing my binding on with the machine. She noticed I had my 1/4 inch foot on instead of my walking foot. Somewhere, sometime, I just forgot to switch the machine foot and had been doing this for quite some time totally unaware. Just small mistakes that you don't see but that cause problems. I am back to using my walking foot now and my bindings have gone on smoother.

Thanks again Rosemary, the pictures are great.

Your Welcome Mary,

Yes, you will have to play with different widths of bindings and see what will work with the amount of batting that you put in..  most quilters that I talk to are pretty much stuck on the 2.5 inch width and then hand sew.. but again,, they are sewing it using a 1/4 inch seam. 

Your right about getting stuck in a rut .. I started sewing clothes in 4H when I was super young and as you know..  back then it was all 5/8ths inch seams.. well, when I started sewing quilts and i'm hearing something called a "scant" 1/4 inch.. I was totally baffled that anyone would waste their time with a skimpy seam like that , which in my eyes was just going to pull apart!  So.. I'm trying to learn to trust that smaller seam allowance, but yet today.. I am still a good total 1/4 inch.. no scant here :) 

I do like the wider binding on the front.. with sewing a 3/8ths inch seam to attach it to the front.. by the time I pulled it all tight and rolled it to the back it was 1/2 inch.. and that is just my preference.

Have Fun :)

I do it Connie's way - attaching the binding to the back, then folding it to the front to machine sew it down.  This way, you can control the line of stitching where it is most obvious - on the front.  I always use a decorative stitch - usually a serpentine stitch.  I have never been able to make it look good with a straight stitch.  I often use a variegated thread to dress things up a little.  I think it looks great!  

Carol

Carol,

when you use the Serpentine stitch for this application,  do you set you machine up for a narrow , long, wave look?

and do you sew both on and off the edge?  I think I tried this before and my edge seemed to have some "what I thought to be" open edges..

Maybe I was set up too wide and too long of a stitch length.

Thanks,

Rosemary

Ann that is an excellent tutorial. Thank you so much. You included every step, not leaving out small details. That is the way tutorials should be written. I am so happy I posed this question. I now have a great resource for front to back binding and back to front binding. Thank you ladies soooo much for taking time to help out.

A friend from my guild taught me this technique and I love it!   I call it Machine Binding with an Accent Fabric

Cut the accent fabric (which will become the inside "flange") in 1 1/2" strips

Cut the primary fabric in 1 1/4" strips

Sew these together on the long edge.  Press.  Fold.  Then press again.

Sew to the the back of the quilt.  Fold the binding over and then stitch in the ditch on the front of the quilt.

Sorry, these are not the best pictures.... in the pic with the blue fabric, the strip on the left is when I sewed the two pieces together on the long end, and on the right is when it is folded and ready to sew onto the quilt.  The other picture is the same technique but on a different quilt.

Q1.jpg

Q2.jpg

Many good ideas.  Here's what I do.  I use Sharon Schambers technique using Elmers washable school glue.  Make sure it is the WASHABLE kind.  This can be seen on YouTube called Binding the Angel.  I use my DSM to sew the binding to the front, then turn it to the back, run a thin line of Elmers washable school glue along the stitch line, fold the binding over overshooting the stitch line enough to catch it when sewing from the front and press the binding down. The hot iron dries the glue and "pins" the binding in place.  I then stitch in the ditch from the front.  The glue does not get stiff and washes out the first time you wash the quilt.

Nancy I have the used the "accent" method. I like it a lot. It can really add a little something extra to quilts that it.  Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Brake, I knew I had seen someone use glue before, couldn't remember who. I'll go lok at her video. Thanks.

Archived