I am about to start a customer wall hanging with machine embroidered panels that are quite stiff. Fabric appears to be a light weight canvas, and there is a woven interfacing ironed on the back as well as some unremoved stabilizer in some places. My question is what is the recommended thread/ needle combo? I once tried to quilt an art quilt piece with several collage layers on a stiff interfacing backing and broke several needles. Finally finished it on my domestic machine and broke a needle there as well!  Any guidance before I start will be greatly appreciated. I have a Millie.

Your quilt sounds quite familiar to a quilt I did.  Every block was heavily embroidered and was stabilized with something that made the whole quilt top quite stiff.  I used my usually Superior So Fine #50, bottom line bobbin thread and a size 4.0 or 4.5 needle.  It quilted much nicer than I thought it would.  Usually you just have to jump in and give it a try to see what size needle works.

Wow, I know what you are talking about.  It's to bad the piecer didn't remove as much stabilizer as possible.  You should be fine with Charlene's suggestion.  Just go slow if possible, you will probably get a lot of needle flex.  You can read about needle flex on the website info.

Archived