FIFTEEN Quilt tops!

I am in the process of deciding between an APQS and an Innova.   I can't buy for two years, but in that time, plan to decide which machine to buy and also am going to practice by renting time on Innova and APQS longarms.  A dear friend has given me 15 tops to quilt for her!  She pieced all but one of them.  One she purchased for $1 from a garage sale.  It is pretty bad -- hand pieced and not even, but practice is practice!  One of them is a darling chicken quilt and another is a top of hers that I have admired for years.  Some of them want pantos and others are demanding custom.  And, of course, there are the rebels that just aren't saying anything.  Some of them are gorgeous and others, not so much.   This is going to be FABULOUS practice for me.  I am so excited!!!!  And I will be posting them on here for ideas for quilting.  

- Yup - hand quilting needed. I know a couple of people in my area who do it for others, so there is likely someone in your area willing to do it, too. I have a friend who is hand quilting a very old and wildly distorted and wonky - and she is just doing her best. It would be impossible on a longarm.

Use the "Canned Soup" method on that quilt when you longarm it...and remember STEAM will be your best friend thru that! 

ALOT of us have longarmed those older wonky quilts.  Those big "D" cups that poke out at you require you to decide whether you put a full can of soup on it (in the can of course)....or you create a crease in it. Ask the quilt top owner which she prefers, and let her know there probably WILL be issues with it considering it is not square.

Always inform them of this BEFORE you quilt it.

While not longarm quilting, you could SID on your DSM using invisible thread to help hide the somewhat straight lines.  Once the funky tops are stabilized you might be able to roll the whole sandwich onto the longarm and quilt away as you see fit.  Though a non-sitdown quilter would have to tell you if this is feasible.  If not, quilting on your DSM or a sit-down machine is great learning too.

Cagey

Sheri,  one of my best friends bought it for about $1, and she doesn't really care what I do with this one.   The other quilt tops she gave me are much better looking.   I appreciate the soup can info and will try it!!

Cagey,  This is the quilt in progress on my DSM.  Not as good as the work you gals do, though.

IMG_0872.JPG

Archived