Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stitchin cricket

Quilting ideas needed please

8 posts in this topic

I made this quilt for a lady I work with who suffered a bad stroke on Valentines day.  This  wonderful lady, who has been in the field of helping others is now the one needing help. I can't even begin to imagine how that feels.  She will most likely never improve enough to return to work & she has been feeling depressed about her situation. I wanted to do something special for her so I made this signature quilt that everyone at work can add a positive message to. I need some ideas on what to quilt in the color block. The only thing I plan to do in the white blocks is maybe stitch 1/4" from the seams.  Anyway, your thoughts are welcome.

Happy quilting,

20170529_193102.jpg

20170529_193200.jpg

Carmen 

Stitchin Cricket Quilts

APQS Millenium with Bliss Track & Quilt Glide

Hi Carmen,

It is just beautiful! When I first saw it, I thought of flowers in pots. You said you wanted to do 1/4 inch lines away from the seams in the white blocks, but I see flowers in colored threads, many different colors.(or varigated thread) on the white. Do you think that maybe her friends could sign the colored blocks instead of the white blocks? The colors look light enough for it. You could do the straight lines in the colored blocks and they still would have room for names. I'm sure others will see something different. Only it is such a really cheeful quilt!

Debbie

Debbie

Jackson, Ga.

Carmen, what a lovely quilt!  What about hearts in the colored blocks?  I also like Debbie's idea to treat the colored blocks as flower pots, and stitch flowers in the white blocks.  I think black ink would be visible in the colored blocks, if you did the flower pot idea.

Please post pictures when you're done.  Prayers for your co-worker.

Betsy

quilting with Emmeline, a 2011 Freedom SR

I love the idea of the flowers in the white blocks, but personally, I would do it in a matching thread so any mistakes are not blaring. I just know I make little blips sometimes and it would show up really good with contrasting thread. Just a thought. I am sorry for your coworker and know this must be frustrating for her. This is a wonderful and thoughtful gift.

Mary Beth 

Powered by 2009 Freedom

Future winner of the Millie Sweepstakes

http://marysnutshell.blogspot.com/

I like the idea of treating the colored blocks as flower pots, but I think it would be better if you rotated the quilt 180 degrees so the top of the flower pots are the longer edge.  I also agree that stitching in the white space would be spectacular and have a bigger effect. You could do the same type of quilted flower but in different variations...flower leaning to the left, to the right, smaller, singles, multiples, etc.  Now I want to do one!

Untitled-1.jpg.646c9046a53263f0410ba0684a9b799f.jpg

I just bought Springtime Waltz  edge to edge by Christy Dillon of My Creative stitches. It would look great on this.  Maybe even use a varigated thread. It is also on sale right now for $5 digital.

http://www.mycreativestitches.net/springtime-waltz-edge-to-edge/

Dell 2016 Millie Frannie Ann Jr. with Bliss & she is Quiltaziod and Circle Lord Equipped with lots of Quilting Toys and now has Quilt Path!

That's a lovely quilt. Bright and cheerful. Hope it lifts her spirits.

signaturedimage

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying, 'Dang, that was fun'!

2017 Blissed Lenni and loving it!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have decided to take your suggestion Debbie and think of the batik color blocks as flower pots and have everyone sign in those blocks. I'm probably going to add some flower appliques to some of the white blocks and quilt those blocks with a matching white thread color as Mary Beth suggested. I plan to do all the quilting freehand so I don't want the mistakes to show up. I may use a variegated thread in the color blocks though. The lady that I'm doing the quilt for is back in ICU at the hospital and they won't allow the quilt in with her so when I finish quilting it, I'll probably have to give it to her husband and their kids. We're all praying that she takes a turn for the better soon. Every time we think she's moving toward recovery, she has a set back. We all believe in the power of prayer so please pray that she (Anne) begins her road to recovery soon. We know she'll never be as she once was, but we really hope and pray it's God's will that she recover and remains with us for a long time. As soon as I finish the quilt, I'll post pictures.

Happy Quilting,

Carmen 

Stitchin Cricket Quilts

APQS Millenium with Bliss Track & Quilt Glide