Quilting ideas needed please - Finished quilt pics posted

I made this quilt for a lady I work with who suffered a bad stroke on Valentines day.  This  wonderful lady, who has been in the field of helping others is now the one needing help. I can't even begin to imagine how that feels.  She will most likely never improve enough to return to work & she has been feeling depressed about her situation. I wanted to do something special for her so I made this signature quilt that everyone at work can add a positive message to. I need some ideas on what to quilt in the color block. The only thing I plan to do in the white blocks is maybe stitch 1/4" from the seams.  Anyway, your thoughts are welcome.

Happy quilting,

20170529_193102.jpg

20170529_193200.jpg

Hi Carmen,

It is just beautiful! When I first saw it, I thought of flowers in pots. You said you wanted to do 1/4 inch lines away from the seams in the white blocks, but I see flowers in colored threads, many different colors.(or varigated thread) on the white. Do you think that maybe her friends could sign the colored blocks instead of the white blocks? The colors look light enough for it. You could do the straight lines in the colored blocks and they still would have room for names. I'm sure others will see something different. Only it is such a really cheeful quilt!

Debbie

Carmen, what a lovely quilt!  What about hearts in the colored blocks?  I also like Debbie's idea to treat the colored blocks as flower pots, and stitch flowers in the white blocks.  I think black ink would be visible in the colored blocks, if you did the flower pot idea.

Please post pictures when you're done.  Prayers for your co-worker.

I love the idea of the flowers in the white blocks, but personally, I would do it in a matching thread so any mistakes are not blaring. I just know I make little blips sometimes and it would show up really good with contrasting thread. Just a thought. I am sorry for your coworker and know this must be frustrating for her. This is a wonderful and thoughtful gift.

I like the idea of treating the colored blocks as flower pots, but I think it would be better if you rotated the quilt 180 degrees so the top of the flower pots are the longer edge.  I also agree that stitching in the white space would be spectacular and have a bigger effect. You could do the same type of quilted flower but in different variations...flower leaning to the left, to the right, smaller, singles, multiples, etc.  Now I want to do one!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have decided to take your suggestion Debbie and think of the batik color blocks as flower pots and have everyone sign in those blocks. I'm probably going to add some flower appliques to some of the white blocks and quilt those blocks with a matching white thread color as Mary Beth suggested. I plan to do all the quilting freehand so I don't want the mistakes to show up. I may use a variegated thread in the color blocks though. The lady that I'm doing the quilt for is back in ICU at the hospital and they won't allow the quilt in with her so when I finish quilting it, I'll probably have to give it to her husband and their kids. We're all praying that she takes a turn for the better soon. Every time we think she's moving toward recovery, she has a set back. We all believe in the power of prayer so please pray that she (Anne) begins her road to recovery soon. We know she'll never be as she once was, but we really hope and pray it's God's will that she recover and remains with us for a long time. As soon as I finish the quilt, I'll post pictures.

Happy Quilting,

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I thought I would post the completed quilt I did for my friend from work. I took everyone's advise and turned the quilt so that the batik blocks resemble flower pots. I also quilted flowers on it, but I decided to do an all over E2E pattern called Azalea I purchased from Urban Elementz, and I used Bottom Line 60 wt on top and glide magnetic bobbins on the bottom. Anne has two long haired Dachshunds that she and her husband adore so you can imagine my luck when I walked into my local quilt shop and found the batik fabric with paw prints on it to use as the backing. I was told by the person who delivered the quilt to Anne, that she usually didn't like blankets laid over her, but when she seen the quilt and all the messages on it, that she wouldn't let anyone remove it from her bed. She also could seem to stop rubbing her hands over the quilting, and she liked to hear the encouraging messaged read to her each day. 

Several weeks ago, Anne decided that she didn't want to go through anymore intensive treatment so she was transferred to the Hospice House. It is with a very sad heart that I must tell you that Anne went to be with the Lord at 6am this morning. I feel so blessed to have had the privilege of knowing and working with such a kind women, and I feel honored that the quilt brought her joy and comfort during her last days on this earth. I hope you enjoy the completed quilt, and please say a prayer for her husband Martin and their family as they deal with this sad loss in their lives.

Anne's Quilt.jpg

Anne's Quilt back.jpg

Carmen

While I am sad that you lost your friend, it was heart warming to hear that your quilting and the inspirational statements filled her soul with love and comfort.  Your quilt will live on as a reminder how much she was loved by all.  Thank you for sharing with us.  Take care, and God Bless you and her family.

Cagey

Archived