I am attaching this picture because I'm trying to figure out this tension problem on the back of the quilt.  First off, since I finished this quilt, I have had no tension problems on the other quilts I have quilted. I had adjusted the tension several times on this quilt and it had worked perfectly for part of the quilt and then would hiccup this issue; quilt merrily along and then "hiccup" and then quilt merrily along again and "hiccup".  When it happened, I was sure it was a hook & timing issue, but I checked that and rechecked it and it was okay.  So, I'm wondering if this was an issue with how the needle was positioned.  I'm legally blind in my left eye and I try my very best to get the needles positioned so the eye is dead center.  Some people say you should position the needle to look a bit to your right.  What do you think?  Is this a needle position issue?  What do you think causes this kind of tension issue?  I did have my stitch regulator on with So Fine #50 in top and bottom.  

IMG_0492.JPG

Ida;

In your post, you did not say if the picture is of the top or bottom of the quilt, thus I am going to say it is the Top of the quilt.  That being said, the top tension is winning the tug or war with the bobbin thread, so you need to either loosen the top tension or increase the bottom tension.  This way the bottom tension will start winning the tension battle, and pull the knot to the center of the quilt sandwich. 

Concerning your hiccup, you did not say how long it lasts.  I would ensure you have the top thread property threaded through all the eyelets and tension spring.  Review your manual to ensure that it is.  Then make sure that you have a piece of batting in the eye over the thread spool.  Finally check to make sure when you pull off a few feet of thread through the needle eye, that the thread is not catching on the bottom of the spool when it gets down there.  That may make the hiccup come and go.  Since I have a George, some other learned quilters will have to tell you how the tension on the top, bottom, and batting could be causing your issues.  

Having the needle a bit right probably will not harm your tension.  Take care, and have a wonderful weekend.

Cagey

Hi Ida, I was just looking at your web page and see that you are a Kansas City girl too. Go Royals!! Anyway, yes, your needle should be turned just a tad. Just insert a pin in the eye, and turn it to the left just offset from the straight on position. (Humm, I just noticed you said to the right, I always go to the left, it will be interesting to see what others do). This looks like you are only having tension problems on the curves. As Cagey mentioned you did not say if this is the top or the back, but it looks like the back to me. Also, as Cagey said, I would make sure the top thread path is threaded correctly. If this is the back, I would tighten the top thread just a bit. Even though you have been using this thread, there could be a difference in the thread count on the fabrics for this quilt, or the combination. You may need to adjust your tension just a bit.

14 hours ago, Cagey said:

Ida;

In your post, you did not say if the picture is of the top or bottom of the quilt, thus I am going to say it is the Top of the quilt.  That being said, the top tension is winning the tug or war with the bobbin thread, so you need to either loosen the top tension or increase the bottom tension.  This way the bottom tension will start winning the tension battle, and pull the knot to the center of the quilt sandwich. 

Concerning your hiccup, you did not say how long it lasts.  I would ensure you have the top thread property threaded through all the eyelets and tension spring.  Review your manual to ensure that it is.  Then make sure that you have a piece of batting in the eye over the thread spool.  Finally check to make sure when you pull off a few feet of thread through the needle eye, that the thread is not catching on the bottom of the spool when it gets down there.  That may make the hiccup come and go.  Since I have a George, some other learned quilters will have to tell you how the tension on the top, bottom, and batting could be causing your issues.  

Having the needle a bit right probably will not harm your tension.  Take care, and have a wonderful weekend.

Cagey

Hi Cagey!  Thank you so much for your help!  This picture is the back (or bottom) of the quilt.  The eyelashes seemed to happen every pass at one point or another.  It would be fine one moment and then not, throughout the entire quilt.  I had the cone of top thread loaded above the spring, on top of the machine head, so maybe that was an issue.  I have batting in the eye over the thread spool on the back, but not on the ones in front. I'll need to fix that.  I've been using thread loaded on the back of the machine for the quilts since this one.    

Were you using the pre-wound So Fine bobbins?  I bought a box and found that not all of them unwind smoothly.  It looks like the bobbin gets too tight when you have your hiccup, and then it's fine again.  If that's the problem, then that would explain why you haven't had a problem with quilts you finished after this one.  By the way - I can't remember which way I'm supposed to turn the needle.  Is it 5:30 or 6:30?  

Carol

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Hi Ida, I was just looking at your web page and see that you are a Kansas City girl too. Go Royals!! Anyway, yes, your needle should be turned just a tad. Just insert a pin in the eye, and turn it to the left just offset from the straight on position. (Humm, I just noticed you said to the right, I always go to the left, it will be interesting to see what others do). This looks like you are only having tension problems on the curves. As Cagey mentioned you did not say if this is the top or the back, but it looks like the back to me. Also, as Cagey said, I would make sure the top thread path is threaded correctly. If this is the back, I would tighten the top thread just a bit. Even though you have been using this thread, there could be a difference in the thread count on the fabrics for this quilt, or the combination. You may need to adjust your tension just a bit.

Hi Mary Beth!  

Yes, I'm a Kansas City girl, too!  And, yes, GO ROYALS!  

So, turn the needle to OUR left?  Not the machine's left as it faces us?  I know that's a dumb question, but I want to make sure I understand you correctly.  In another group, quilters had said to turn it to the right - I wonder if they meant the machine's "right"...  

As you and Cagey both mentioned thread path, I have a couple of cone holders and horizontal spool holders on top of my machine's head, above the tension spring and all the other "holes" you normally go through in that area.  But, I did not have it go through that 3 hole "thingy" towards the back of the machine.  I'm wondering if I should have it go through that one first, instead of having it come straight down to the tension spring.  I'll experiment with that the next time I put a cone on top of the machine.  The cones I've used for the quilts since this one were on the cone holder on the back of the machine. I also have batting on the eye above the cone holder in the back and not on the ones on top of the machine, so I'll try that, too.

Thank you so much for your help, Mary Beth! 

16 hours ago, Ida said:

1 hour ago, cegates said:

Were you using the pre-wound So Fine bobbins?  I bought a box and found that not all of them unwind smoothly.  It looks like the bobbin gets too tight when you have your hiccup, and then it's fine again.  If that's the problem, then that would explain why you haven't had a problem with quilts you finished after this one.  By the way - I can't remember which way I'm supposed to turn the needle.  Is it 5:30 or 6:30?  

Carol

YES, Carol!  I was using the pre-wound So Fine #50 bobbins.  I love them, but you know what?  I've found I have the least tension problems (if any at all) when I wind my own on metal (not aluminum) bobbins.  I wondered if it is because the metal bobbins slide easier, yet more controlled than the aluminum bobbins due to the weight of each.  And, I wondered if the cardboard sides of the pre-wounds were causing a problem, perhaps not sliding as well.  

I like the term "5:30 or 6:30". That explains it better than right or left and gives it a specific location.  Hopefully, Mary Beth can help us with that one!

Thank you, Carol, for your help!

1 hour ago, Ida said:

Hi Mary Beth!  

Yes, I'm a Kansas City girl, too!  And, yes, GO ROYALS!  

So, turn the needle to OUR left?  Not the machine's left as it faces us?  I know that's a dumb question, but I want to make sure I understand you correctly.  In another group, quilters had said to turn it to the right - I wonder if they meant the machine's "right"...  Or, as Carol said... 5:30?  Or 6:30?

As you and Cagey both mentioned thread path, I have a couple of cone holders and horizontal spool holders on top of my machine's head, above the tension spring and all the other "holes" you normally go through in that area.  But, I did not have it go through that 3 hole "thingy" towards the back of the machine.  I'm wondering if I should have it go through that one first, instead of having it come straight down to the tension spring.  I'll experiment with that the next time I put a cone on top of the machine.  The cones I've used for the quilts since this one were on the cone holder on the back of the machine. I also have batting on the eye above the cone holder in the back and not on the ones on top of the machine, so I'll try that, too.

Thank you so much for your help, Mary Beth! 

Rosemary

Ideally the needle should be straight if the timing is spot on. But many of us have found tweaking the needle a touch helps after we have retimed with less than perfect results.  As mentioned above check the thread path, is the tread firmly in the tension disks, check for lint under the bobbin case tension finger.  Your picture looks like you don't have enough top tension.  Every place your thread touches it will add drag (tension) so if you skip a bunch of guides your tension could be light.  Can you set up your phone camera to watch the tread path as you are quilting?  I suspect as you come out of the corners you get slack in the path above the tension assembly and then is goes taught again, this can play havoc with your tension.  See if there is a way to get the thread to come of the cone smoothly like we do when putting a piece of batting in the guide above the cone at the rear.

Just my thoughts

Nigel

Thank you all!  Yesterday, I had the same problem, but I had the needle turned slightly towards 5:30.  I will try the straight (haven't had serious enough problems with this before, but I thought maybe I was doing it wrong) and the 6:30 needle positions to see which works better.  Nigel, that's a great idea for video recording what is going on with the thread path.  And, Mary Beth, I LOVE your signature lines" Powered by 2009 Freedom...Future winner of the Millie Sweepstakes"!!!  :lol:

Archived