Best Feather Book?

What type of feathers? The book that helped me do the bump-bump feathers was by Sherry Rogers-Harrison. Her book has a clear page that covers the page with feathers. The page with feathers has an arrow that shows you the direction you would stitch. The book comes with a dry erase pen. You use the clear page to trace the feathers. You are going to get a thousand different options. I bought this book several years ago. I am sure there are online instructions now.

KP;

While a picture is worth a thousand words, I believe a video is worth a million.  You can learn a lot from a book, but a video can show so much more.  For this reason, I am a big supporter of two feather training videos.  They both show you different techniques to fill assorted shaped and sized areas;

Kimmy Brunner - Twirly Whirly Feathers ; http://www.kimmyquilt.com/shop/DVDs.htm  Two DVD set, and one of the best I have found.  Kimmy also has some free videos that you may find helpful;  http://www.kimmyquilt.com/learn.htm

Claudia Pfeil - (P)fun - (P)feiling - (P)feathers;  http://www.2sistersquilting.com/claudia2.html

Take care, and have fun learning.

Cagey

I agree that a video is the way to go, but it is not ALL that you have to do.  Practice, practice, practice with a dry erase marker on a vertical then a horizontal surface. Then throw a big piece of muslin on your machine and do feathers up, down, diagonally, backwards, inverted, however you can think of doing them.   I never ever thought I would be able to do feathers....of course I am no expert, but I do a decent job. There is a certain rhythm to feathers; it's like a dance.  Good luck!

Yep get the books then practice, practice, practice! I like to use a sketchbook and ultra fine tip sharpie to practice designs. You'll figure out how to get out of tight spots and how to make the kind of feathers you like. I still practice feathers and other designs, especially when I'm in a long, boring meeting at work! Most of all, have fun!

The FASTEST way i learned, was by Myrna Ficken! 2 seconds watching her feathers, and i was off and running making them in every damned direction!  She can attest to it, she was standing right beside me when i did it!  After years of using her method, i freely went to the bump bump and easily did those!  aquilterschoice.com is her site

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recommendation on the Sally Terry book!   LOVE her feather  method and it is so much easier than the other two I have been practicing.   Will continue to practice all three methods, but the ST way is FABULOUS!!!!

I love all the suggestions you've been giving and have some of those books.  DeLoa Jones book is great for the longarm feathers.  I love Darlene Epp's feather workbook for the formal feathers.  So many different ways to use them, but I don't think she's selling anymore.  If you use FB and post on Quilters Classified or Longarm Accessories and ask if anyone has used books they'd like to sell, you can always buy more books.  LOL

Archived