Memory Photo Quilt

I've made a few with photos.  I did not quilt on the pictures.  I stitched in the ditch around the photos and quilted the sashing.  Do you have a pic of the quilt, it would make suggestions a little easier.  Check the quilting requirements for the batting you are using.  Mine came out fine without doing the photos, but the entire quilt wasn't just photos.

I've quilted lots of quilts with photos added. I usually quilt from the front (freehand meander) and I DO NOT quilt through the faces, especially the eyes, nose or mouth. I skirt around these areas and just meander through the body or background area - not the face. However, some of these photos are large and they need some sort of quilting to hold it all down and together without too much puffy. So, I usually guide my needle carefully around the heads and in between. I use a white or cream colored thread that blends in with everything... I've done this successfully many times with very nice results. You don't even notice the thread... you see the photos and the sweet faces. You can do it! 

55 minutes ago, Gator said:

I've made a few with photos.  I did not quilt on the pictures.  I stitched in the ditch around the photos and quilted the sashing.  Do you have a pic of the quilt, it would make suggestions a little easier.  Check the quilting requirements for the batting you are using.  Mine came out fine without doing the photos, but the entire quilt wasn't just photos.

Heres one row 

1496687268587882677838.jpg

Looks so pretty!  I'd definitely quilt all through these fabrics and photos, using special care around the sweet faces... that beauty with the big smile... just meander your way around that pretty face. It will all blend in nicely. An off white/cream thread will be good, I think. If you're nervous about the thread color, you could use a monofilament thread. The quilting will become part of the overall entire quilt. You won't even realize the quilting until after you admire all of the pretty photos. It's an afterthought. 

I use kona fabric. And then I cut to whatever size and soak it in bubblejet fabric for 10 minutes, lay it on racks to dry, then iron to the shiny side of heavy duty was paper and run it through my bubblejet printer. This saves a lot of money rather than buying fabric paper.

149669351902356321521.jpg

Yay, I have 2 rows sewn together, will do the other 3 tomorrow, and take the QOV off my frame and load this one. Thanks for all your help. Do not be afraid, Do not be afraid. LOL

I dont have problems quilting the fabric, just around the faces. Ill post when Im done. Hope my customer loves it. Thanks again!

20 hours ago, MaryQuiltsTx said:

That is going to be a lovely quilt. May I ask what type of photo fabric you used. Been thinking of printing some pics to make pillows for Christmas and saw so many different brands of the photo fabric, I wasn't sure where to start.

I answered your question on this post Mary!

Thanks everyone for your advice. All quilted.  And I had no problem quilting it with the photos, why I feared it I don't know. Putting the binding on first thing in the morning before church. Even though our church service starts at 1:30 p.m. temporarily. 

20170608_113736.jpg

20170610_093701.jpg

On 6/5/2017 at 2:50 PM, quiltmonkey said:

Looks so pretty!  I'd definitely quilt all through these fabrics and photos, using special care around the sweet faces... that beauty with the big smile... just meander your way around that pretty face. It will all blend in nicely. An off white/cream thread will be good, I think. If you're nervous about the thread color, you could use a monofilament thread. The quilting will become part of the overall entire quilt. You won't even realize the quilting until after you admire all of the pretty photos. It's an afterthought. 

Thank you So much for your confidence in me!

I have made several photo quilts and I done mine just as Gator did. Like she said make sure you use the correct batting for large un-quilted areas; don't want your batting to ball up in your photo areas (if this the route you choose to go). All mine turned out fine, even after several washings.

I love this quilt. I have done t-shirt quilts and added photos of the girl on her ball teams. It turned out great, and if I remember right I just did a panto, so I could not see where the stitches were landing, but the family was so happy with it, they didn't care. This quilt gives me big ideas for my grandkids quilts. 

I just free motion with Lucy. I don't use pantographs, but I do know how.  I'm excited to do more memory quilts for customers. In the quilt label, I put what the customer wants and getting permission from them, I add quilted by me and my website.

35 minutes ago, AnnP said:

I just free motion with Lucy. I don't use pantographs, but I do know how.  I'm excited to do more memory quilts for customers. In the quilt label, I put what the customer wants and getting permission from them, I add quilted by me and my website.

If you can free motion quilt, then forget about pantos. Pantos are boring and you will lose your mind. 

On 6/6/2017 at 1:06 PM, MaryQuiltsTx said:

Thanks Ann. I had heard of Bubble jet but wasn't sure how it worked either. Your pictures came out lovely. Hmmm, maybe I'll get those pillows done after all! Thanks so much for the info.

Its Bubble Jet 2000. I got mine on Amazon.

Archived