Does anybody free motion/ruler work/pantos without SR?

I have an ULT 1 w/o SR. I have toyed with either upgrading to a different machine(ISO ad on forum now), or adding SR. I LOVE my machine, have the table how I want it, and I have received some great advice from Zeke and Jim.

Are there those of you who have SR but rarely or never use it on free motion, ruler work, or pantos? I only quilt for myself and charity and am basically a beginner. I do well without a SR so that's the question. I've been told, you can live without it and it is a "pricey" add on. Others have said it is worth it and probably would be most cost effective in the long run than trying to find another machine.  I know that SR would make it easier for ruler work, etc, but is it absolutely necessary? I took a class from Dusty Farrell and asked him and he said he rarely ever uses the SR---even for ruler work.

Adding  IS(Nolting will add it) would "cure" most of my issues with the ULT(needle down option). I also like the way it will start when I move and stop when I stop and has a true basting stitch.

What about the rest of you out there? Do you use your SR a lot or only sometimes? If so, when do you find you use it the most?

Thanks in advance of any advice and suggestions.

Barbara

I use the SR for ruler work only.  I have an intelliquilter and you don't use the SR when stitching computerized designs.

I DO NOT use SR for free motion work.  I tend to stitch a bit faster than the SR and feel its holds me back with free motion work.

Char

I ALWAYS use my stitch regulator, even for small background pebbling.  I think it depends on what you are comfortable with.  I do a lot of quilting for customers who are entering their quilts in judged shows and I'm sure stitch uniformity is something judges look at.

I use stitch regulation for most everything   but i am a beginner....took class from rock star Karen McTavish...she only uses SR for ruler work and encourages students to try not using SR for free hand especially smaller work.....not using SR on small background fill really does give me smoother lines as you are not fighting the machine trying to maintain the stitch length......i intend to try and use less SR as i progress but right now am on hold due to my rotator cuff repair....watching old DVDs and listening to books from the library and trying to get the toothpaste cap off and the milk bottle opened with my until now, neglected left hand.  lin

You might talk with Dawn Cavanaugh, I know when she started out she had a machine w/o a stitch regulator and her quilting was beautiful. Surely she used a ruler at times. I would contact her and talk with her. She is so nice, I know she would be happy to help you.

I use Stitch Regulator for times when I need to stop and focus on a block design before I start again... or when I'm using rulers.

I prefer not to use Stitch Regulator when I am doing freehand backfround fills, edge to edge pantographs, etc. For me, I consider my Stitch Regulator as just another tool or option to pick from and I use it when I need it (which is not all of the time). 

Do whatever feels most comfortable for you. 

When I started to FMQ, it was on a sit down machine without SR.  As I got better at it, my stitches just seemed to come out a fairly consistent length, but it took time and practice and I got in sync with the foot peddle and adjusting the machine speed with it to come to a stop or turn or when using a ruler to ease up and didn't get so many tiny little stitches...again practice.  But since getting the Lenni, where SR mode does all the thinking for me on stitch length and Manual mode is either stop or go and doesn't allow for ramping up or down, I'm really nervous in Non SR mode/manual, so I stick with the SR.  However, the few times I've tried it, I realized how much quieter and smoother the machine runs, so I'd really like to work on quilting without the SR all of the time.  Coming from a sit down with a foot peddle, I have to think it would be nice to still have a foot peddle on on the Lenni for that extra speed control.  Weird, I know :wacko:.   But I feel like I need time to "think" sometimes, and the Manual mode is a bit unforgiving and scary :(.

I started with a machine that didn't have a SR and then got my milli.  I use the SR almost all the time now and it has made me lazy.  It is good that I can stop and think.  I do a lot of fine details and I like to be able to take my time getting into the small spaces.  I've been pushing myself to use it in non-SR for wide open spaces.  

I use the SR all the time. I like to be able to pause and think about what I'm going to do next especially in small spaces. I would like to get proficient enough at non-SR on wide open spaces. Would definitely need lots of practice to do that. 

As I thought, answers are all over the board---maybe I just need to work with the machine a little more to determine if I REALLY need the SR.

The ONLY decision I've made is whether I upgrade my ULT or go with a new(er) machine, it will be my last time to upgrade and I will die having fun quilting so maybe it doesn't much matter if I upgrade the ULT or go new(er) in the long run. :)

Kwiltr pretty much wrote my post for me.  All she said applies to me as well. I had pretty good stitches with George and liked the results, the foot pedal allowed me time to think.  Now with Lucey I use the SR so I can think or start and stop without built up stitches.  Lucey is still quite new to me and I mostly quilt for myself and don't have time daily to play with her. 

Archived