Bobbin Bits

I know a lot of you, including me, use the prewound bobbins when quilting. I was wondering if you use each bobbin until it runs out or do you put in a new bobbin so that you don't run out in the middle of a row and have to tie in ends? I try to use as much of each bobbin as possible, but when there is such a small amount that I don't feel I'll get anywhere with it I get a new one out. But I don't want to waste what's left on the used bobbin. I have tried using it for hand sewing my bindings on but feel it is not strong enough to pull through several stitches at a time. I get a lot of fraying. These bobbin don't fit in my DSM so I am thinking about rewinding them onto regular bobbins just so I can't use up the thread. The little buggars are piling up!  Was curious what others do when there is only a small amount left, too little to get a good start on a row but too much to throw away........:huh:

Myself, I run the bobbin out.  I have found I have tension problems when I change bobbins, so why increase the number of possible tension changes.  You will probably get a feel for how dense you can quilt and how many times you can go across a quilt top with a single bobbin.  Keep notes, that way you can have a good idea when to change bobbins.  

I have found I like Cindy Needham's (really GiGi Kandler's) method of tying off thread ends and burying them in the quilt sandwich;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n34ggPYamjc  Short tails are no problem with this method.  Short tails are no problem with this method.

Cagey

3 hours ago, quilterkp said:

Could you use them for practice quilting pieces?

That is actually a great idea. I wouldn't need to worry about the ends. It is so nice to be able to post and have someone point out a simple, but totally elusive to me, idea. Thanks.

Cagey I had the same problem with my old machine. One of the reasons I upgraded to APQS. Tension and/or breaking every time I changed a bobbin. I ran them out then too. My Lenni doesn't do that so I guess that is why I have been changing the bobbin when I see there is not much on it. Great video. I chuckled every time she cut their "little heads off". Thanks.

I use leftover bobbins for basting.  If I'm going to be rolling a quilt back and forth (usually if there are a lot of colour changes), I will baste the entire quilt before I start quilting.  I often do a full float, so basting makes sure the top stays straight and I find any poofy places that might need some special attention.

Karen  I had a Tin Lizzie. I had it for eight years. I quilted a lot of quilts on it but the tension was a nightmare. I actually did not use it for the the 2nd and 3rd year I had it because it was so frustrating. Then a friend recommended the Magna Glide bobbins and it made such a difference. Didn't cure all the problems but made it more usable. But even so it just got to where I felt I was quilting everything twice and wasting so much thread and time...not to mention patience. Haven't regretted buying Lenni. Nothing is perfect, I have a small issue with Lenni and the top thread breaking but I am working on it. I am still amazed at the difference in the machines everytime I start to quilt.

Hmmm seems to be a lot of people using  the bobbins for practice. Something tells me I don't practice enough! :blush:

8 hours ago, MaryQuiltsTx said:

I thought about using them in my DSM but would have to rewind them onto the other bobbins. I have used them for sewing my bindings on but often break the thread. maybe I'm puling too hard? Do you have problems with it breaking when you are hand sewing Deb?

I haven't had any problems with the thread breaking when hand sewing the binding. I know I used glide thread, but I don't remember if I used any other. 

Also when I used the low bobbins with my DSM, I used the bobbin as is (like a spool of tread) and put it on the spindle and used it as top thread. 

Deb.

Duh, you did say top thread, right there in black and white! :D  I think I will do that. Seems to be the easiest way to use it and keep on eye on how much is there.  Thanks. I am so happy not to have to rely on my own brain sometimes. I swear that thing goes on vacation without me sometimes. :rolleyes:

Thanks Cagey for sharing that!  It's brilliant!  As for the bobbins, I run mine out, but I'm working from the front of the machine, so I can see when it runs out and I wind my own bobbins.  I find the tension is acceptable pretty much to the end of the bobbin and will only take a few stitches back to a good restarting point. I don't quilt for customers or show, so I'm probably not as particular as some as its only for me :)

I have several bobbins that just have a dab of thread on them --- wide range of colors.  I don't want to throw them out, and don't want to waste them, so what I do is use them when I need to baste the quilt.  It doesn't matter what color I use for basting because these stitches will either be covered up or pulled out later anyway. 

Archived