Tension disk troubles

I have been trying to quilt with Invisifil and the thread continually broke.  Changed the needle, put silicone on the thread and piece of batting in the first guide, rethreaded and ran thread through one hole above tension disks, and loosened quilt on the frame.  Nothing helped and then I found the thread was not pulling easily through the tension disks no matter how much I loosened them.  Tried So Fine and had the same problem.  The check spring is at 11:00 as it should be so I am wondering if there is something else that I need to do or if I will have to replace the tension assembly.  Thanks for your help!

I finally took the assembly apart and found the reason for the problem was the entire assembly had moved away from the head.  When the thread went through the tension disks it was catching on the grooves on the post and breaking.  I have not had any tension problems until today so never realized the tension assembly had to be tightened.  Lesson learned!

Carmen

One thing to look for is a groove in the U of the check spring.  You might need a magnifying glass to see or if you have one of those seam rippers with the blade you can drag it side to side and see if it catches.  I think I've had to change ours out at about 3 or 4 years.

Nigel

Archived