scalloped border

kusmaulk

I\'ve been told that whenever you have an odd shape, you have a couple of choices in how to handle it.

1) add fabric (temporarily, of course!) to make it square enough to load as usual. In this case, you could baste the scalloped edge to a strip of material, then load as usual.

2) use the full float alternative - load the backing and batting as usual, then lay the top on, measuring to make sure it\'s on there square. Pin baste and go to it.

I used the full float on a small tabletopper brought to me by a client - square, but with points extending in the middle of each side. It worked very well, I think. But the piece was small, so no issue of running "cockeyed" on the backing.

I\'ve done several of these; our LQS had 2 classes.

The students were taught to mark the top for the scallop edge, I think they used a plate. Then they gave the quilts to me to quilt. I prefer to float all my quilts. When the quilting was done using the marked top as a guide, the customers scalloped the edges and put the binding on. I would not want to quilt a top that was already scalloped. Too hard to stabilize the edges. I\'ve done it...once. And it was a PITA. I would recommend the mark, quilt, then scallop method to your customer.

If it is already cut, Yikes.:mad: Load the backing and batting, hopefully that is not also cut. Then you lay the top on the batting and baste the edges, with pins or Spray Baste. If the backing is already cut, all I can advise is a good pain reliever. :P

Good luck.

Karol,

Here\'s another way to attach a double wedding ring or other scalloped or round quilt with pins, so that you can have some consistency on the quilt when dealing with all the bias:

[*] Attach the backing to the backing roller normally.

[*] Use an imaginary "straight line" across the bottom double wedding ring. It could be right across the center of the last row of rings, or it could be a line that extends through the "centers" of the "watermelon" shapes that cross the quilt at the bottom.

You can either "eyeball" this line, or lightly press it with an iron before loading the quilt. Then simply pin the quilt to the quilt top roller, right along this line. Yes, you will have a portion of the quilt unattached and "flopping around." That\'s okay.

[*] Once you\'ve pinned the quilt this way, you can now smooth it on to the roller, and keep even, consistent tension on it as you quilt. You will "float" the top edge of the quilt.

[*] Stitch the straight line through your batting and backing as you normally would to float a top, and use this reference line to align the scalloped portion of the quilt. Personally, I then pin the scallops in place on the backing before I begin quilting.

[*] Since the quilt top is attached to a roller instead of resting on the floor, you can then make sure the rings stay nice and smooth, and "square" as you move down the quilt. Just be careful not to overstretch the quilt top by putting too much tension on the fabric--you could distort the rings due to the bias fabric.

Everyone has a unique way to tackle unusual quilts--you\'ll find your niche and do what makes the most sense to you!

I did a scalloped border for a friend. I premarked the scallops on the top and loaded in the normal way. Then I had the lines to follow for my quilting. The tutorial I had found online told me not to cut that fabric till the binding was attached. Since I was doing the binding for her this is what I did. It came out great.

If it is already cut then you will have alot more work to deal with and I would add a surcharge to compensate for the extra time you are going to spend dealing with it.

Karol - I do it like Dawn C. mentioned also, and just roll up. Works really

well - no problems!!

I do have one coming up next week that is marked but still has straight

edges. Will be quicker to do. I am more concerend about her backing than

the top... she has some applique pieces here and there that are just ironed

on and barely stitched down.... don\'t want to get caught on those flaps!!

Sheryl - I have never been given a quilt with the Prairie points on it, that is

usually something they tuck in later, just like doing the binding, when it is

off the machine. Good to know ahead of time though so that you do not

quilt right upto or into the edge.

Archived