How To Use: Hartley Fence

Mary Beth

Hi Teri

Baptist Fans are not the quickest way to get through a quilt but the results are stunning and you can get a really vintage look - especially if you use cotton batting. Also you do get a lot quicker the more practice you get. Also if your customers want this type of quilting they should expect to pay more for it.

Anyway, here are two ways you might like to consider moving from one arc to the other.

1. If you are working on patterned top fabric and patterned backing your stitching from one arc to the other will not show up so you might like to stitch over the arc from the previous row as you go from one arc to another. To do this you have stitched the previous row of sets of arcs from one side to the other.

Next with the machine on the left hand side of the top lower the needle down into the top of the stitched arc from the first row in the 12 o c lock position. I normally make this the edge of my top.

Bring the fence across to the machine and rotate the circle device so that the arm with the holes is pointing towards 12 o clock. You will then have to lift the needle from the fabric and secure the fence with the brake.

Put the pin in the hole corresponding to the largest arc and it should be pointing at 12 o clock.

Stitch down until your last stitch meets the stitching from the previous row - then either

lean forward and with your finger nail drag the fabric behind the foot towards you slightly and take a stitch, release your finger and take a stitch, drag the fabric towards you and take a stitch, release the fabric and take a stitch (this makes a lock stitch and then you can take the pin out of the current hole and place it in the next one and repeat the finger nail trick to start and secure your next arc. You snip the threads when you have finished.

The other way is to stitch your first arc down to the largest arc of the previous row, take the pin out of the hole and with your needle positioner take stitches upwards on top of the stitching until you get to about the position for the 2nd arc of the first set, put the pin in the corresponding hole and quilt upwards. With this method there is no snipping of threads when you have finished quilting.

Both methods take a little practice but the results are very much worthwhile.

I hope this is clear - my computer is not near my machine so I couldn't check what I was writing and do it at the same time.

Best wishes

Sue

• 1 year later...

I bought a used Harley Fence and then a big pile of templates. I have Myrna's book and I'm scared to even take it out of the box. I don't have a DH to help me so it's unmechancial me trying to do it. Does the whole machine have to be raised up? I have an Ultimate 2.

Does anyone in the Boise Idaho area have one and know how to use it ?

Cheryll,

It's okay, don't be afraid. Just take it out of the box; lay all of the pieces out so you can see them. Then start reading the instructions. If you take it one step at a time, you will amaze yourself ;) Next thing you know we will be seeing your picutres posted here and you'll be feeling all smug:cool:

Take a deep breath and go for it.

Good luck,

Mary Beth

Hi Cheryll.

Good for you that you got a fence you will love it and have it mastered in no time at all. You can do this. You have the workbook, it indentifies all the parts and step by step instructions as well as photos. It is so simple. Get your workbook out and follow it. You can't mess it up. You may have to do a couple of practice circles to get the hang of it. The workbook also has the step by step instruction for the cookie cutter stencils. If you have question give me a call.

Remember relax. Figure out the speed that is best for you to get the stitches you want. Your speed will increase with use.

Let me know if I can help you.

Myrna

Archived