machine dragging/sluggish

lrooth

my machine is dragging something terrible. It feels great and smooth when i follow the panto for practice, but as soon as i turn the machine on and actually stitch i get all kinds of drag...on all areas of the table: front to back,side to side, and the loops/circles have square edges. I have done lots of quilts before this that looked just fine. I think it has gradually happened over time, but not sure... I have adjusted the wheels, checked for threads, everything i can think of. What am i missing? Thanks, Linda

Linda,

Have you checked the height of your hopping foot. I found at one time, mine was too low and caused a log of drag when quilting. When your just practicing, it is not going up and down therefore, the machine runs smoothly, but when you start the machine, it is going up and down and if it is set too low, it drags. Hope this helps.

I\'ve checked and cleaned all wheels, cleaned the rails and blown air into every crevice I can think of!!!!

I\'ve suspected it may be one of the wheels (back left) because i also hear a sound like something is rubbing when i get my ear down close. how long do the wheels generally last? these are brown. i\'ve had the machine a year but bought it used from someone who only did 5-6 quilts on it. I\'ve done at least 20. Am going to first adjust the hopping foot and will pursue the wheel idea if that doesnt work. Thanks again for all suggestions. Linda

• 1 month later...

My one year old Millenium is dragging only in certain places as I move about over a quilt. I thought it might be that my table had shimmied out of level, but I checked it in several places, and it looks good. I regularly clean the rails and wheels. I have completed around 100 quilts now!

I am ordering a set of edgeriders , but have to wait around two weeks before they will be available. :(

I am not sure what else to check. I will look in the manual and see if there are any recommendations there.

My machine was dragging in one place - talked to Dawn and we finally determined that it could be one of 2 things:

1. the bolts holding the circular bars between the rails in place might be a bit too snug and pulling on the table/rails

2. The bolts holding the hydraulic lift motor might be too tight and again pulling on the rails.

I tweaked both situations a bit - loosened the bolts on the center circular tube just a smidgen as will as the bolts holding the hydraulic lift motor. Seems to be much better. Before I had called, I had measured from the end to the place where my Millie seemed to always drag.

Don't know if this helps, but it is an idea.

Meg:cool:

Hi Linda

When you get your ear down and hear a scraping noise, is that coming from the area where the encoder box is fitted? If it is, could the brown wheel be touching on an allan key screw on the collar just above the rubber encoder wheel?

Good luck

Sue in Australia

• 5 years later...

I know this is a REALLY old post, but I am having the dragging problems from the back side of the machine.  The hopping foot is OK.  The problem is most severe at the very back (first row of panto) and as I quilt forwards, more towards the front, it practically disappears.  I have cleaned etc, checked for threads, cannot seem to find anything....HelP

Alyn

Don't forget to check the width of the carriage front and back also.  When the machine is at the rear there will be more weight on the rear wheels of the carriage than when the machine is rolled towards the front.  I am thinking it could be a worn wheel or bearing.  Recheck the adjustment first and make sure you can see that little air gap between the edge of the wheel and the rail when the head is at both the front and rear.  

Please let us know when you get it figured out so it might help someone else.

Nigel

Just a wild thought, no idea where it came from.

Have you measured the width of the table rails and the carriage rails to see if they

are the same distance apart, all the way.??  It doesn't matter where on the rails, inside or outside,

as the wheels still roll on them.

Another, did anything heavy get dropped on the rails and possibly put a small,

normally not seen dent or sway in one of them?  might check with eyesight all the way

from end to end on both long rails then on both machine or carriage rails..  I'm sure

we had that problem on the old no good brand machine I had, and himself ended up

getting a different piece of metal to use for rails.  I think.

Praying this is fixed,,,  I'd hate to have that problem.

Please let us know??

Rita

Archived