Learning curve on George

Mrs.A

Hey, George owners: I'd like to get some chat started. I know that owners of the other apqs models talk about a learning curve and PPP...I'm wondering what it was like when you began using your George machine? Assuming that most George owners were already proficient or at least had some experience at machine quilting on their DSM, how long was your learning curve on George? What did you experience during the transition from domestic machine to George? Can I hear some encouraging words?

And also, I'm curious: Why did you choose to remain a 'push through' quilter rather than switching to a stand up longarm Looking forward to your input, Nancy

hi nancy --

i purchased my george about a year ago and found the transition from my dsm pretty simple. it took me a while to figure out the tension, but after much experimenting i'm doing quite well. i love the george and would recommend it to any one who works on art quilts or wall hangings. i have no plans on running a business and primarily do smaller quilts, which are easily handled with george, so it's the pefect machine for me. i used to dread the quilting process when i used my dsm, but now i look forward to quilting. in addition, this forum is the best on the web. the information sharing and knowledge are priceless.

I got George about a year ago, the timing because I was offered a deal and hubby said we could swing it. I previously had a 10 ft frame with a Juki and never used it really. Too much messing around to get set up on the frame and no space in the throat to quilt a big quilt.

With George I didn't need to really relearn how to quilt the shapes I did on my home machine. I liked the fact that he had a table and worked like my Pfaffs in the basic quilting. Also, I can change which quilt I want to work on without taking off and on. We also didn't have room for a large throat frame. I usually make up to queen bed quilts.

the only thing that I would change about George is the arrangement of the table parts. Why do all cabinet makers put the drawers on the left instead of the right. On the left the drawers are always covered up with the project working on! I would put them on the right and have a fold down/up ledge on the left like they have on the side, then there would be something to help support the quilt as you are working on it. Just my idea. I would love to get a response from the APQS people about the table design.

I've had my George for about a year and I love it. I just wish I had more time to quilt! I chose the George because I just don't have the room for a long arm, or even a mid arm and table set up. There was very little learning curve. Of course I had to learn to adjust the tension with the change of thread type, but that was just practice. Quilting designs are easier on George. The biggest help I've had in learning technique was watching Ricky Timms quilt on a domestic machine and a George machine. The process of making a feather, for example, just seemed easier for me to grasp by watching someone do it on a stationary machine, vs. a long arm and his particular method just worked for me.

I have Ricky Tims Grand Finale DVD. I like his teaching style and find it easy to follow. He showed several other types of free style quilting. I watched it a chapter or small section at a time, as I had time, and enjoyed it very much. The DVD also covers marking techniques, creating your own designs, managing the quilt, trapunto, bobbin quilting and binding. I've also watched Karen McTavish's DVD and that was very good, but I have a hard time doing feathers the way she does them. I don't know if it is because she uses a long arm or if it is the technique I just can't manage. When I have more time in my life I'm sure I'll figure it all out! ;)

I too, have had my George for about a year and half. I also have the Ricky Timms Grand Finale DVD and found it to be very helpful. I also look at different pantos and figure out how they are done and just go for it. Sometimes I draw the design out, most times I just free hand it. I practice on a piece of paper to start out also. Another really good DVD set is by Patsy Thompson. The LQS had them to rent so did and really learned alot. She does all her demos on a DMS, so figure sure could do them on George with all that room. I teach an Adult ed quiltng class so had some of my freehand quilting students watch these also and they also found them very helpful. Really the only thing I think would be hard to do on George is straight line quilting. I just go back to my DSM then. Judy

• 5 years later...

I just recently got my George. I have it put together and have been trying to start the practice quilting, but I can't get my stitches to lock . Did anyone else have this issue? I am fixing to order the Ricky Timm's DVD! Any beginner tips anyone has, I'd be glad to hear. Laura

• 1 month later...

Archived