Batting for wall hangings

Have made many different sizes of quilts, but have never done a wall hanging. Okay, Bonnie - what batting should I use for wall hanging so that it lays flat?

Read posts, a lot of them by Bonnie, to find out all kinds of info - so thought I may aas well just go to her.

But will take advice from anyone.

Marilyn

Marilyn....you are too funny...to pick me out of this crowd...first thank you for the compliment, but not sure I can be of much help.

First off as long as I have a good quality batting, it really doesn't matter TO ME, what I put into a wallhanging. I actually use whatever I have left around that fits that size and go for it. Although if its a really really thin one I might use two layers, but I have had great luck with Hobb 80/20, all the Dream Cotton or Poly and even have used really cheap cotton batting that they use to sell at WalMart, but no longer have it...

I have only had one that didn't lay really flat, and its one that my sister made for me that she used a regular poly batt from someplace like Walmart, and it just is WAY to fluffy and doesn't really lay flat against the wall...I should put a weight in the bottom of it, but haven't dont that yet. To do that I add an additional small tube at the bottom and instert a small heavy Dowel or maybe several welding rods if I have them laying around...just something heavy and small....

Hope this help some....

Thank you to all of you kind ladies - and I believe the concensus is that if you have it use Hobbs 80/20. Have added a few pieced borders to a halloween wall hanging for a 10 yr. old granddaughter who loves to decorate for halloween. She saw it today and is pushing dear old Grandma to get it finished.

Have some Hobbs 80/20 and will get busy tomorrow. Know the phone will ring to see how I am coming about 5 PM tomorrow afternoon.

This is a wonderful place to get answers to my many questions.

Thanks again.

Marilyn

I also love Dream Wool for wallhangings as it give so much dimension so your quilting really stands out. I also like Dream Wood for cuddle quilts, as it is just that, cuddly!

I, too have had problems with Hobbs 80/20 and pokeys. I don't carry it, as I also hate the 'feel' of it. Gives me shivers to touch it, but have had customers bring it to me to use.

To each his own, I love 80/20, no the feel is not great..but hate Dream Cotton, but Hobbs 80/20 is great to work with and never have pokies with it, but you can tug on it after you roll the quilt and not put your hand through it or have a thin spot like you ALWAYS have with the Dream Cotton, other than the Deluxe, which no one ever uses as it's more expensive and thick. The Dream Wool might be different, but no one wants wool in the desert, so I don't carry it.

Originally posted by Chocoholic

Hobbs 80/20 and pokeys. I also hate the 'feel' of it. Gives me shivers to touch it, but have had customers bring it to me to use.

Sheila...have you a steam machine....or a iron with tons of steam....I have to totally agree with the ucky way it feels on your skin, but by accident, as I had one that I needed to use right out of the sack...and those are even more yucky than the rolls are...and it was major wrinkled. I took the standup steamer to it...wrinkled flew out of it, and the feel...MAN IT MADE A HUGE difference...so now I don't even think about it...and wrinkles or not, I steam each one.... they even wash up better after being steamed.

Just something I ran across many years ago, and it might also work for you or others. The drape was even different after it had been steamed...almost like a whole different product.

Bonnie--do you think the steaming made the scrim melt into the batt? That would really affect the drape and take away that scouring-pad feel of the scrim side--I think the scrim on most batts is chemical (think Fray-check) as opposed to natural ( think cheesecloth or mesh). What is your thought and THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES for all the smarts you share! I will be trying this in a few days!

Linda...I'm not sure I would say melt as I would say wash away....like a washout stabilizer for embroidery...the hot steam seems to just do something with it...melt/wash not sure, but let us know if you agree with my findings...I felt that it was a fluffier feel, you could actually see it increase in size, and the feel I felt was snuggly, and the drape was noticable in the quilts.

Now I'm not a smash it down type so there wasn't tons of quilting. SID and designs in blocks, medium to 50 cent size stippling...I wasn't doing McTavishing or tight stippling or something you would maybe use in heirloom... where everything is smashed down.

Thanks gals for all the great tips on battings. I've been quilting for some time now and have usually used Warm and Natural 80/20. I've found it to be satisfactory to all my bed and snuggle quilts. I must admit I haven't snuggled up in one of my own but I've not had any complaints from anyone.

I have a hand quilted Amish bed quilt on my bed (it was a gift from my DB) that I'm sure has a poly batt and it is very drapey. We use it all winter and sometimes on cool spring and fall nights. I don't think I would machine quilt with poly tho. Too many other nice batts out there.

I like Thermore for table runners and placemats and jackets. I've always used 80/20 on my art quilts with great success.

Now, you must know I've done all my quilting on my DM so maybe that makes some difference.

I'm sure there there are a lot of opinions but I want to ask what you all would suggest for batting on a king sized pieced and appliqued batik top. The backing will be 100% cooton wide back also pieced since the quilt is 110 wide.

I was going to use my 80/20 but I've read so much about the wool batts and also the bamboo being so popular. This is for my son and DiL and I want it to be the best I can do. It will be his first quilt from me. I can't believe that..he's my first born and I never made him a quilt...I'm so ashamed:(:( Anyway, , you all understand.

I have another one ready to be pieced as well for our youngest son and his wife..same size but in 100% cotton, pieced top and back may be batik but I'm not sure yet. Any cautions about that? Also, this pattern is one of RaNae Merrill's Star patterns. It's a big center Mariner star in her Radiance fabrics with smaller circles on the sides and borders. She directs you to use Steam a seam 2 to fuse the star to the background then satin stitch the edges. I'm afraid all the fusible might give me problems in quilting it. I was thinking I might just use fusible on the edges of the pieces or narrow zigzag them down before satin stitching. I also thought the fusing would make the quilt stiff.

I've done fusing on wall quilts but I didn't care if they were stiff. I didn't have trouble quilting them on my DM but that's different that on a longarm too.

Just got my Gammill Classic plus last Thursday so I'm PPPPPPP!! My first piece for practice was a cheater as recommended by the dealer who came to do the set up and initial instruction. I just ran out and bought a Christmas panel. I didn't think about the fact that it had gold metallic leaves all over the "sashing". I didn't have any trouble but that piece sure is stiff!

Thanks ahead for your suggestions.

I have a customer that brought me a Quilter's Dream Wool batting for the latest quilt I did for her. It was very nice to quilt. I don't know what it will be like over the long haul however.

I've always used Warm and Natural cotton but I decided recently to branch out. I purchased a couple of different battings to try. The one I'm using right now is the Quilters Dream Blend. I'm hoping to get a little more definition with the poly. So far so good.

Marlette, congrats on your new LA. You are going to have fun, fun, fun!!! Don't forget to breath as you PPP. I was a DSM quilter for a long time and it took a little time to get used to moving the machine instead of the quilt. Have fun, can't wait to see your quilt pictures.

A new fav of mine is Quilter's Dream Blend. It has a nice density, but is lightweight. I have had 80/20 flatten out after washing, so I avoid it now. Not enough poly for me. Also, I have found that if you are carefull to quilt evenly and use a larger stitch than usual (I use a 3.5) when attaching the binding by machine, no wavies!

Marlette,

When I do fusible on a quilt, I cut out a doughnut of the fusible. Just leave about 1/4-3/8 inch around the edge and then fuse that down to the fabric. That way, you only have a small amount of fusible, which takes away that 'stiff' feeling. I have done several quilts like this and people are always asking what I do as my machine applique feels as soft as hand applique. I also use Steam a Seam 2 Lite which gives a softer feel.

I have had no trouble quilting through the Steam a Seam 2 Lite with my longarm. Of course, if the applique is small, I just outline it and don't quilt in it, but by making that doughnut, even if you have to quilt in the applique, there isn't very much of the fusible to go through.