Do you track your hours?

I've been trying to track my hours using a stop watch. It can be a real eye opener as to the amount of time we spend on a quilt. I'd be interested in knowing if others are timing the quilting jobs and how you're doing. I must be really really slow.

When we first started we did use a wristwatch/stopwatch just to get an idea as it was started as a part-time basis along with anothr business we owned.

From that we set out per foot pricing and basically stayed that way.

We charge 2.26 per square foot for basic quilting and go up from there. The bulk of Terry's quilts come in at about 2.50. We've gone as low as 2.00 for a large meander, but that's not usually what they come to us for as there are ones cheaper for that type of service.

Her speed has increased obviously so it follows that the income also has - except of the tiny stipple/custom everything guys, lol.

Hi Judy

Once in a great while I will track my time but as a general rule I do not. I know I am no speed demon and I am fortunate that I can take my time and quilt the quilt as needed. Sometimes I will time how long it takes me to go through a prewound bobbin. I save the cardboard inserts and count them at the end of the quilt. Multiply the time it took you for that first bobbin and it gives me a general idea of time spent.

Guest Linda S

Judy - so far, the hours I've been counting are the ones where I can't sleep because I've gotten myself so excited about all of this. I get up in the middle of the night and read longarm quilting books or sit and trace patterns. :o My kitties are distressed at having light shining in their eyes in the middle of the night!

Linda :P

Sherry,

What kind of pre-wounds do you use. I suppose since my UltII is a standard L size that any would fit? Are you getting them in colors and where? I use them (NEBS) in my Pfaff for piecing and love them. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Mary & Big Girl

• 7 years later...

I charge by the hour. I've tried all the other stuff and this seems to work the best fro me. Sometimes it's good for the client, but most of the time it's good for me. I use a digital timer or I will use the timer on the Compuquilter as I'm using it. zeke............

mmm just went back and looked at the dates. I knew I hadn't seen Judy here in a very long time. I have a timer that adds in minutes that's easy to hit to pause. I think I ordered it from Target a number of years ago. Usually I forget to use it but it is interesting when I do..

Archived