Rush pricing

luv2kwilt

I can't find my Unlimited Possibilites as well, but when I was up against this problem here was my rule of thumb.

If my turn around was say a month, and they wanted it in 2 weeks....I would charge them half of what the quilt would have cost them...if they wanted it in 1 week, then they paid 3/4 of the original charge.

I.E.....quilt would have been $150

2 week rush would have been an additional $75.00

1 week rush would have been an additional $112.50

I personally feel that a rush on their part doesn't mean I have to rush....I'm not the one who dropped the ball. If they knew a year ago that they had a wedding to get ready for, not my problem!!!:cool:

Now if there was an accident and they were trying to do something that was a result of something not for seen then at times I didn't charge a fee at all.....I just worked it in between quilts, kept it simple and didn't worry about it.

There are rush jobs and then there are emergency jobs. I evaluate the situation and go from there. I gives me a (false) feeling of some control!!:D

If a customer needs a rush job, I consider it "overtime" since I try to stick to a specific number of tops a month so I don't go crazy. If I have promised 8 tops and then need to do 9, it curtails my free/family time, yadda yadda.

I add 50%--just like overtime. This usually keeps them in the E2E or panto pricing and I can easily do that in a day. So the extra charge would vary per job.

What a great thing that YOU get to decide what works best for you and your business!

Bonnie:

Thanks for your honest answer -- I will sometimes do a small rush job but only a panto - no custom or even semi-custom; and I will charge a little more. Right now I'm booked thru January and people are wanting Christmas quilts - I REALLY hate to say "no" since there are two new quilters in my area; but to keep my sanity and enjoy the holiday, I'm going to have to refer them. I'm sitting at work wanting to be home quilting -- I'm sure there are others out there in my shoes too! IF this crazy economy would ever straighten up maybe I could quilt full-time!

Sharon

SHaron, isn't that the truth. I turned down the buy out at work just last month...$25,000 and paid health until age 65 (I'm 55) because of the security of working and making good money in my current position which I couldn't make at a new job somewhere else. If I have to work, AND LIKE THE JOB, then I'd be crazy not to at least make the most I can to prepare for retirement.

I would love to quilt full time...just won those first ribbons at Innovations...motivation.

It seems like the UP article stated if you are about 6 weeks out and someone wants a quilt done in 4 weeks, you charge 25% of the quilting price. If they want it in 2 weeks, you charge 50% and if they want it in a week you charge 75% of the regular quilting price. Something like that anyway....

Tammie, I would say you are the boss.....you can charge any ole way you want to ;)

• 1 year later...

Archived