Batting types

I may open a can of worms here but I'm trying to decide what to stock. Quilters Dream (which I cannot find locally and haven't tried), Warm and Natural (available at LQS if I run out) or Hobbs Heirloom. I purchased some of this in bleached white at Houston and like it. I also tried the Warm and Natural and it had good body to it but how does it do with heavier quilting. If I plan to do alot of heavy quilting which will be best? I am going broke here so I want to make the best possible choice before ordering a large Quanity. I want to have some good quality Poly also for trapunto. Thanks again ladies.

Hi Tammie!

You can order the Quilters Dream directly & set-up a wholesale account. Go to their web site for the contact info & to ask for free samples of everything they carry~

http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/

If you want to do Faux Trapunto, Hobbs Poly down or the new Quilters Dream "Puff" works well, it is soft & lofty.

If you are going to do the cut away trapunto our own Karen McTavish recommends the 16 oz. Airtex by the roll, it is relatively inexpensive~

http://www.airtex.com/Products/BattByRollQB.asp

I have not tried the Dream Puff for cut away, but have heard good things about it, as it is not so fibrous when cutting, & snipping.

Good luck with it & be sure to let us see some pictures please! ;)

If anyone is interested, I have some great trapunto & wholecloth classes coming right up, just drop me a note! :)

Gone Quilting~

Linda

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Quilters Dream. They have so many different types of batting and the quality and service is excellent.

I used to use Hobbs almost exclusively but their quality has just gotten so bad! I defended them for many years and while they have been fair about replacing bad product, I am tired of having to check every square inch of their batts before starting a quilt. Once what I have in stock is gone, I will not offer Hobbs.

If there's a Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's near you, when they have their half price sale on batting, our customers can buy it for less than we pay by the time we pay shipping. That will not happen with Quilters Dream. If your local clientele isn't familiar with Quilters Dream, it might take a bit of educating but it is definitely a fantastic batting.

I think Warm & Natural might get a bit stiff with real heavy quilting.

Not having much experience yet I probably don't have as valid of an opinion as most of you, but from what I've learned I DO NOT like Warm and Natural. It is too linty and gets stiff. I did like the Hobbs 80/20. I haven't used any other except the Fairfield 80/20 cotton blend I can buy at Wal mart. So far that has been the easiest to handle, but I don't know how well it will hold up. It does quilt nicely though. Just my two cents worth.

Teresa

Archived