A quilt I finished tonight

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks girls. You all are so kind and good to me. I appreciate you more than you will ever know. :)

Shana

Originally posted by SheriB

Hey, have you tried the 1" basket weave yet? I bought the stencil and I am waiting for the perfect quilt to try it out on. That's all I can come up w/for now, but I think the trellis looking basket weave design will make those applique's pop out like wildfire on the green/purple quilt.

Hey Butla Sista! Thanks for the great advice. I have not done a basket weave stencil yet, but I do have one. This will be a first for me! :) Wish me luck as I am venturing into unchartered waters with that stencil.

Originally posted by Bonnie

I didn't say it was nice....I said it was perfect)

Thanks, Bonnie (Mom) that means more to me than you will ever know! WHEW! ;)

Originally posted by rcck00

One question; you say you used a template, is that the same as a stencil, or?? I'm drawing a blank.:o:)

Yes, this whole thing with templates and stencils confuses me sometimes, too. For the feather spines I used a template that is acrylic (like a ruler,,,actually, it is a ruler that is curved). A stencil could be a template, too, I guess, but I try not to confuse myself too much so I consider a stencil something I can trace through with either pounce chalk or pen, and a template is something ... like a ruler or has a hard edge around the outside edge you can trace ... well, now I'm confusing myself again. LOL!! :P See??? OK what about this simpler: Stencil=Trace Through and Template = Trace Around.

Originally posted by JudyLynn

I am a bit confused and can not figure out how you did your feathers. I have stared them down and they are not backing down (translation, I cannot figure out your path.) I am finding when I do something one way, the old brain cannot do it another.Judy

Hi Judy,

I am doing the "bump-bump" or "over top feathers" where you bump over every other tippy top of the feather and then go back to the spine and repeat. I start at the bottom and work up. Then I stop, tie off and do the other side, working from the bottom to top. I have Sherry Rogers-Harrison's Formal Feathers 101 which really helped me to PPP this method. Also Karen McTavish's DVD on Victorian feathers explains it well too.

Originally posted by catsigler. I'm working up the courage to try feathers on a sleeping pad for my dog Jack. :D Geez, only had my millie for 1.6 years! I'm such a weenie! :P

OK Missy,,,, stop being a weenie and git bizzzzay! ;):) You can do it!!! Really you can. If I can do this anyone can do it. Trust me seriously on that fact! :P

Originally posted by meg_marsh

How long have you had your longarm - you do such a beautiful job. ..... And your baby is adorable........ they always want to check out our quilts..LOL.

Meg, Yes Rika is a ham. She's always got her eye on me...always! She's a honey pup; such a love. Regarding the quilting, well truthfully because of my broken foot and lengthy recovery I didn't really start quilting until late 2007, like mid November time frame. My Christmas quilt that you saw at Innovations was the first quilt I really created at a time when I was able to stand and quilt, so I consider that quilt one of my "firsts--very beginner quilter" My broken foot was so painful I could barely stand for more than an hour. So, I really got to start quilting almost a year now, coming up in November.

SHANA

Your quilting is simply beautiful , wow and the feathers are simply perfect. when you said you used a template so the feathers would be consistant, did you mean that you marked them with a template and then followed the markings ?

You did a wonderful job and it is simply gorgeous. Way to Go Girl!!! HONK HONK TOOT TOOT!!!!

Shana, you nailed it. I will keep PPP until I can do it that good.

I liked the suggestion of the fern feathers for the green and purple one. Here is a page from Covey's collection. I'm not suggesting you do it just like this, but it's a jumping off point. Your feathers are prettier than these.

"Fern

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

when you said you used a template so the feathers would be consistant, did you mean that you marked them with a template and then followed the markings ?

Jeanne,

I marked the spine only with a curved ruler using a blue water soluable pen so the curved spine of the feathers would be consistant and match in the opposing blocks. The feathers are not all exactly the same but do look similar because of the curved spine. I quilted the spine first, from tip to bottom, then started feathering up one side. When I got to the tip top I stopped, tied off, and started again at the bottom along the other side. In the applique blocks I just did feather filler wherever it needed without a plan and without using the template and blue pen.

Bonnie, I don't have that book but I have been eyeing it lately at the shop. Books are my weakness... so is thread... and I fear that stencils will soon be another weakness! :D

Thanks again you all are way too nice.

Shana, your quilting is just stunning!!!! Bonnie is right in saying it is perfect. It not only is beautiful workmanship, but it complements the piecing and overall design of the quilt to perfection. You just got it soooooo right!!

I hope to be able to do the same for my customers one day! Until then, I'll just keep looking at your quilts and dreaming.

Archived