Alum. rail marks on my pants!

Hi.

While unpinning a quilt today, I leaned up against the back aluminum rails and got long marks across the front of my corduroy pants, Funny, I just cleaned the table rails well last week...it did not look dirty!

Any suggestions on how to remove the aluminum marks? The pants are cotton and can be machine washed and dried. From now on, I guess I'll just wear jeans to quilt!

Thanks so much for any help...I hope we can save these pants.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NewJersey

Hey there,

ditto to the above. The marks will come out in the wash pretty easily. I clean my rails with a little bit of WD40 sprayed on a tissue or paper towel and then wipe that away with a dry cloth. I gave up waxing the rails ages ago and it doesn't seem to matter at all.

The only thing about the rails that I just couldn't deal with and had to change were the grooves they were wearing into my thighs. When I was pinning on from the back, besides the ugly black marks on my clothes, the aluminum rails were wearing away the fat in my thighs and creating grooves that you could see and feel, even through my pants! So now I pin on from the front and all that has gone away. Fat is back. Now, if I could come up with a way to use this discovery to wear the fat away from my butt I'd be pretty darn happy -- and rich! :P

Those marks don't even wash out of the rags I use to clean the rails! So far haven't gotten any marks on my clothes, thank goodness. But this reminds me to ask about something I've been wondering for a long time. The carriage rails NEVER get black like the table rails. And they don't leave black marks on the wheels (white edgerider wheels show the oxidation, unlike the dark wheels that came with the machine). I wonder why they don't use the same non-oxidizing aluminum for the table rails that they use for the carriage rails.

Archived