Custom quilting pricing.....

skrat

My non-E2E charges are based on the amount of ruler work I do. So freehand is more than E2E, then light ruler work is more and heavy ruler work is even more. I consider dropping in horizontal and vertical SID as light ruler work so I can do a custom sampler with alot of freehand feathers, etc more economically, than say cables, cross hatch and chalking designs, etc.

If you are freehanding with thread changes, design changes, and starts and stops, that is considered custom to some extent and should charge-out at more than E2E. My custom pricing kicks in as soon as I pick up a ruler. For motif placement, border designs, sashing treatments, and fillers--I start at 3 cents and inch and may go higher if there is dense stitching. This does not include SID or other ruler/template work.

More dense or difficult E2E designs should be charged accordingly. I took a class from Grace Anderson at Innovations and she uses an over-all called Flowers Flowers Everywhere which has many different flowers and leaves with bridging designs that are quite intricate. She charges 3 or 4 cents an inch for this application and it is truly just an over-all.

Linda,

Just out of curiosity, what do you charge for SID work? And, do you divide out the quilting areas for the different types of quilting when pricing? (For example - the body of the quilt is freehand allover with no ruler work and the borders are separate, but still freehand) Thank you.

Hi Shannon,

For SID I charge 4 to 5 cents an inch no matter what. I am OK at it, but my joy is freehand. It's like --finish your vegetables before you get dessert!! Luckily, my regular customers like my style--ferns, feathers, line dancing, McT, etc. If a quilt needs SID I will stitch the border seams and sashing, but a full-bore SID with nothing else would cause me to run screaming!

I have taken in numerous City Girl quilts this year--it is a fabric line and a pattern, I believe. The fabrics coordinate with stylized flowers, leaves, stripes, and solids in the turquoise/green/brown/cream colorway or the pink/green/brown/cream colorway. You have seen them. The body is all squares and rectangles with a one inch zinger first border and a six inch second border. I freehand the center, run a continuous design in the tiny border, and do a ferny or leafy running design in the larger border. All freehand with minimal marking of the outer border spine. Cost--2.5 cents an inch. It takes me about 3 hours from load to unload. I have another in my line up this month!

Archived