RULES FOR NEW YEARS SWAP-30'S FABRICS (LIKE AUNT GRACE)

Sheri Butler

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely ladies from OZ,

I remember seeing some muslin in Spotlight a while ago. Can't remember if it were bleached or unbleached but worth a look see. My DS's 15th b/day party here tomorrow so no can go. Hopefully will see if I can get there to suss it out on Monday.

I don't think that muslin is the same as calico (the stuff we used to line curtains with)

Muslin should be a nice, fine even weave with no seedy bits. Maybe a fine quality ecru homespun? Muslin is a wider fabric on a roll if that is helpful. Good quilt shops should stock it.

I may take up Diannes offer just to see if Im on the right track.

Cheers and happy hunting

Satu, I received your U2U and will get a sample out to you this week. If anyone else outside of the USA is taking part and isn't sure what our muslin is feel free to contact me. I have a couple of days off this week so I have time to run to the post office.

Dianne

Victorian Textiles make a quilters Muslin in their Emma Louise range of fabrics. If it if anything like their homespuns it will be very nice as it comes out of Japan.

So if you have an account with them you can purchase a whole bolt!!!! I know my LQS has this in stock so I am right for "muslin".

Bonnie,

Your block looks great, love to see the pic to reinforce the colours etc. Not pastel (as in pale) as I would have thought, but we have to remember the quilts of the 1930's would have been washed and sun dried a few times before we got to see them in their FADED glory.

Thanks

Lyn

Yes, Definitly Bobbi! PLEASE sign them blocks! I rec'd 3 x-mas ones that I had to put their name/state, year on for them.

Teresa, I think I know what your looking at re: bright colored fabric.

The 30's reproduction fabrics are the ones the old feedsacks looked like.

They really arent "bright", but do come in blues, greens, reds, yellows, oranges, purple, pink. Some have "softer" purples & blues & greens.

But, if anyone questions what a 1930's repoduction fabric looks like, as they are unaware of the lines, just go to ebay and search 1930 fabric. You'll see them all for yourselves.

Also, somewhere either on this thread or the other, I believe it was Bonnie who listed several 1930's reproduction lines. Search those in e-bay and you'll probably see them ALL!

Okay I got my fabric yesterday, I think the line was Maywood.

I bought some nice muslin there too and it said preshrunk, not sure if it will shrink more or not. Did we decide if we are prewashing the muslin? Today I will find a block I want to do and get started but not sure if I should wash the muslin.

PamH

Pam, if you want to wash it, go ahead and do so. It won't hurt! Muslin does tend to shrink a tad. I personally LOVE the look of the old quilts, and I think it adds to it. I believe the majority on here wanted the muslin pre-washed. That may be a good idea as there are so many "lines" of muslin, and some shrink more than others.

I am wondering if we could consolidate these two threads about the New Year's block exchange. I don't want to miss important information. If there is no way I'll just keep them both on my favorites list and be diligent to read them all.

Roberta, that's a great question. I'm waiting for the answer too.

Use a "pigma" pen... black is preferred. or you can use a permanent "laundry" pen... After you sign, Iron the block and that sets the ink.

I try to sign near the bottom, in an inconspicuous space. Not large letters, but so that the recipient can at least see it.

Man, I'm going to respond and reply to both these threads hoping it'll help.

Bobbette, I already asked on the other thread, but these blocks will be like signature blocks, the information is written to be seen, and not hidden?

I like the idea of seeing them--like a quilt from around the world.

OK, I'm asking 2 stupid questions.

1. I have repro. fat quarters that don't say what line they are from, but they are from a LQS and feel like good fabric. Does anyone have a problem with my using them?

2. I like giving my quilts away as gifts, even the exchange ones. I can't do that if they have names on them. I'm not sure that's what I would do with this one, but writing on them ties me into not giving them. I keep records of the blocks I receive, pictures and who sent them. Does writing on them have to be a rule for all or can we specify not to write on them?

Boni: You mentioned the book by Edie McGinnis. She does wonderful stuff. I just finished quilting a quilt for her next book! I'm a total fan of hers now, after meeting with her and quilting for her! She's a really great lady.

I hope I get to meet her someday. I love that book--she tells stories about each of the blocks, who made them and it's usually about sisters who sewed together, and what was going on during that era. How special that you get to be that close to her. Put in a good word from me. I hope to make the Golden Glow quilt someday. It looks like a big sunflower in the middle of an eight-pointed star--it's pieced. The little petal pieces sort of puff up when it's quilted and washed.

It doesn't really make any difference to me about the names on the blocks. We should at least make sure we identify our blocks so everyone knows who's giving it.

Jeanne, I think once we get the list of names, maybe you can contact the 16 people who are making you blocks, and ask them NOT to sign yours.

On your repo fat's, if they look like the feedsack prints, i'd use em! There are sooo many lines out there....

Or, if you'd like, e-mail me some pics, i'd be happy to let ya know. I think I own almost every 1930's out there...i love em so much!

Just make sure they're not the civil war repo's. Some get those confused with the 1930's feedsack ones.

Boni, just click on the todays posts, and it will keep you updated each day what's been chatted on. Or, remember to click in both these posts, then go to the last page.

It was my intent to just make this a simple space for newbies to see what the specs were on this exchange, not to make a seperate chat, but it turns out it did! Sorry, guess were all just too chatty on here...lol! That's a GOOD thing!

Sylvia, that was such a sweet thing to say. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I too, like the idea of the "bond" we have as quilters. These blocks are not a quickie project. I'm making a WHOLE quilt! As I make my blocks I think about those who will swap with me and the time it is taking them to quilt theirs. Lots of gratitude in my heart right now.:)

What a wonderful chat with everyone. As part of the history of muslin, I offer my two cents. My grandmother used to sew dresses for me and my sister in the 40's and they were made with the feedsacks my grandfather bought with chicken feed. He would take me with him whereby I could pick out the fabric I wanted. He knew exactly how much feed he needed to buy in order to me to have a pretty dress. I have fond memories of those far ago times.

The antique feedsacks I have purchased are loosely woven, but still tight enough to keep feed in the sacks! Flour sacks were woven even more tightly.

I have a lot of reproduction fabrics and am looking forward to participating in this exchange.

Trish in Indianapolis

Archived