backing fabric that won't roll properly

Yesterday I purchased a backing fabric that was 106 inches wide. When I looked at it on the bolt, it seemed to have a lot of wrinkles in it, but I thought that I could get it straight once I washed it.

It seems impossible to get this fabric to roll properly on the rollers. Has anyone had this problem, is the fabric off center from the factory?? It rolls tight in places, then has bloobs in other spots. I am pulling my hair out!:(

The problem is we cannot even get it to fold in half, when it was off the frame my husband took one end and I held the other, there was no way that fabric would fold in half, so I tried pinning the edges together and then folding it in half, still wouldn't work because there was so many wrinkles. I guess I am looking at a practise piece!!! Grrrrr!

Too little/too late, but when I purchase wide backers, I make the clerk tear it instead of cut it. Almost always the wide backs (with two folds) are loaded wonky (wonkily:)?) and you end up with a parallelogram instead of a rectangle. Those hanging-over triangles are unusable, a nightmare to load, and IMPOSSIBLE to "stretch out" into a square. Please take my word for it--I tried when a newbie to make it work and all the effort you put into the quilting will be wasted since it will NEVER lay flat. **sniff**:(

I have been to fabric stores where they refuse to tear the fabric--so bossy me :mad: makes them follow a thread all the way across the WIF , mark with chalk, and cut on that line. Then they do it again at the other end--they hate to see me coming, but better to do it correctly now than bring it back for replacement!

Sometime I will share my easy-peasy loading method for wide backs--no squaring if you start with a selvedge edge.

Well, my dear husband suggested that we drive into the city to get new fabric (happy wife, happy life). We went back to the quilt shop and I asked the manager if he ever had that problem before. He promptly pulled the bolt, and took a different bolt, and cut me three yards. I hadn't even returned the other fabric as it is still on the frame. Some stores are so easy to deal with. I think I will stay away from those wide backs whenever possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually do not have any problems with fat backs, other than needing to buy extra fabric, say 1/2-3/4 yd more than I know I need. This allows for squaring the back. First, I wash my backing in cold, then tumble it in the dryer for 10-15 minutes or so till it is only slightly damp. Then I fold it using the selvge edges and watching the drape, and square the back. Then I lay it out over the frame rollers nice and even till it is dry, then load the backing to the frame. Has worked for me on lots of quilts. I like pieced backs for many of my quilts as the fabric choices are wilder. I like busy, funky backs that are fun when you turn the quilt over. Just remember to run the seam parallel to the rollers, not perpendicular...to keep the fabric from bunching on the rollers thus causing the backing to roll unevenly. So, when a fat back isn't working or can't be found for your quilt...use something funky and wild or with lots of 'character' and have fun quilting. Go outside the box and give a wild backing a try. Does anyone know of a source for fatbacks that are wild in print and/or color? I get so tired of the solid-toned backs.

Helen,

That is so great that the manager saw the problem and fixed it like that! I would agree with Sylvia the fabric is way off grain. You can stretch it back into straight of grain by pulling opposite diagonal ends. Pull hard though. You might be able to salvage some of it for another quilt. You will have to square it up afterward.

Archived