Crayon Quilt HELP!

Kristiequilts

I have hit a Mental road block. I have a day off and need to get this little crayon quilt done (wall hanging size)

The problem is this. My dog was hit by a car on Friday and died. He was with me always and now I can't seem to focus on my quilting. I can do it if I know what I'm going to do, but I didn't have anything planned for this quilt. My cust wants it by Christmas but I'd like to get it out of the way asap.

Please help! I hope the picture comes up this is my first try.

post--1346190076883_thumb.jpg

Wow that was easy to do. I don't know why my husband didn't figure it out. I'm extremely depressed about my dog. :mad: I had a heart attack that evening and spent the night and next day in the hospital. My heart is fine (no blockage and no damage) except it is broken into 10 million pieces - the attack was brought about my extreme anxiety.:( Scared my husband half to death.

any suggestions would be gold to me right now. Thanks

so sorry about your dog. and so sorry that it caused you to have heart trouble and get sent to the hospital. What a relief though that your heart if is fine. Praise the Lord for that!!

Your crayon quilt looks like a good on to just do a sort of loops and meandering design like it was crayon scribbles on the wall. Jeanne

Kristie - I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. A pet's unconditional love really becomes part of our lives and leaves such emptiness when they are gone. Take care of yourself. No more trips to the ER, OK?

I love Mary's idea to use bright variegated thread.

How old is the child that this is going to, so you know?

Loops and color names or even abc's would be great. I have a panto named I Spy that had numbers on it. But I think that a cursive abcdefg then some loops and off to do another part of the alphabet would be darling.

I hope you will post a photo of the finished qulit.

I just noticed that this quilt is for a classroom teacher, Mrs Kahn. How about writing (cursive) the kids names around the outside border. That might be too many names (if it is a normal California 34 student classroom :P) and you wouldn't want to leave one name off. Hurt feeling and all. It was just an extra idea that came to me after I finished the post.

No ideas for the quilt but I wanted to pop in and send you a

G R E A T - B I G - H U G

of sympathy for your beloved dog.

If it helps you to get through the anger, it's not how your dog died but how the dog lived that matters. Your dog lived a wonderful (and probably extremely spoiled) life filled with love from you. Please try to think of the good times and try to smile. Your dog was so lucky!

Maybe let the quilt sit unquilted through this weekend. You can finish it later. You have plenty of time. You need time to take a break.

Kristie, please take care of yourself.

you are all so wonderful, great ideas, usually I'm able to come up with something but this one was difficult before I lost my Snippet. I wish I could post a picture of him but I don't know how to do it in the middle of a topic that already exists. Can someone tell me how?

I love the suggestions and HOW did you do that Jessica? and while your at it can you organize my messy closet better? lolol

Aw Kristie, So sorry to hear of your loss. They do get your heart. I lost my Yorkie a few years ago and didn't think I could handle another one. Well, this year for my birthday my husband got me a yorkie/poo and he has stolen my heart. I just need to know where he is at all times. Even though our backyard is fenced in, I still put him on a lead when he goes out. I do not like him to be outside and running free. My DH will let him every once in a while and scares the daylights out of me, Bandit just has a ball but I still don't like it. DH does it before I know it. Many prayers for you with your loss.

The quilt is beautiful and Jessica's ideas are really neat.

Sorry to hear about your furry friend. For the quilt I think it depends a little on what your customer is happy to pay for. If she wants something "cheap and cheerful" then I think the "scribble/meander" idea is great. Something simple and random. If she wants something a little more "custom" then I think I would follow the fab design painted on your photo for the crayons, maybe SID round the top end of each, and keep a bright variegated thread for some scribble in the borders!!

Probably most important is to take some "ME" time before tackiing something else. Give yourself the chance to recuperate from your heart "blip", and your loss. Then start again with a clearer head.:)

Hey Kristie, you have my prayers for you and your poor pup, he's up in heaven playing and waiting for you. I love this poem and it makes me feel better to think of all my dogs that are gone are up there with my Gramps having a doggone good time waiting...

Hugs, Kim

RainbowsBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Being a dog lover, and having both lost dogs in the past, and having a great guy now, I can empathize with your feelings. I trust all goes well for you in the future with your health too.

The ideas are great re: how to finish the quilt. Piano keys on the border is a fantistic idea. May I suggest a dense stipple in the white area to make the crayons bounce out.

Think you will make a teacher very happy with your quilting. Wish I were closer to help you with all of this!

Carol

oh, I'm so sorry about your puppy-face. btdt, so I can feel your pain. It's such a shock. {{{hugs}}]

The crayon idea is adorable, and how about kid-like drawings for around the edges, funky suns, moons, trees, flowers, things like kids would draw and very simple shapes and designs?

sammi

Anne Bright has a book out, Simply Continuous Friends. In that book you will find "Crayon Scrbbles" that I think would be perfect for your quilt. She does a meander with loops and a very good replication of a crayon. Depending on how creative you are you can buy the book and copy and make a panto or you can free motion this. There is a boarder and crayon box pattern also in the book.

2368820810099798652S200x200Q85.jpg

2817317730099798652S200x200Q85.jpg

I took quick pics of two pages. Sorry for the poor photography..

Chuckster

I know how you feel. When we lost our yellow lab a couple of years ago I was heartsick. We decided we could never replace our sweet Holly but about a year later we did get another yellow lab. She is equally sweet but a slightly different personality. We still miss Holly but we truly love our sweet Hannah. I'll bet a puppy will one day be calling out to you. You are boviously someone who will pour tons of love into your dog so don't let your grief keep you from loving one again.

Oh - and I love Jessica's idea for the quilt.:P

Archived