New to longarm Quilting

Starla

I have enjoyed reading everyones posts....lots of info.

I am new to longarm quilting...I have almost comlpeted setting up my machine...I go to my class that comes with machine on Saturday....I bought Millie.....Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated....

Thank you

Starla

Welcome Starla.

Have fun with your machine and relax. Put some muslin on the frame and 'play'. Try different things and learn the machine. I am learning lots from this forum too. As you see something...just jot it down on paper then go to the machine and see if you can mimic it. That's why I am doing. I am ready now to put my first 'real' quilt on the frame. RELAX and ENJOY. Congrats on the Millie. You will love it.

As they've said above PPP, breathe and have fun. Its not rocket science but it does take time to practice and learn your machine. One day you'll realize that you and the machine are moving together as one and wonder "When did that happen?"

Welcome and if you have a question just ask someone here is sure to know the answer.

Congratulations on your Millie!!! I received mine in July. DO NOT BE AFRAID - I was petrified that now that I had it, I would not be able to do it. Just put some practice fabric on there and get the feel of the machine. I started with yellow thread, then I went to purple and then black. Right over the top of each other. After all it is practice. try loops, stars, write your name, Don't let it intimidate you. I have my third 'real' quilt done and have learned lots. Just go for it and enjoy....

I was told after the PPP on loops, hearts, L's, E's, C's, writing your name, etc., to try easy pantos.:P Haa! Forced myself to the back of the machine after about 8 months and dozens customer quilts! I know I should have started at the back and worked forward, but the back scared (and bored) me so I stayed in my comfort zone on the front.

Thank God my customers wanted freehand. I just love to get a quilt to play on. It's like having a huge pencil and getting to doodle all over the quilt top. I still prefer the front of the machine, but there are some beautiful pantos that are just right for certain quilts. Helps keep the price down for the customers, too. Now, after several custom freehand jobs, it's nice to not have to think and just follow the line on a panto. Kinda gives you a break.

Don't let anything intimidate you. Never think you're too new to try something. I didn't even have time for my beginner's lesson until I'd been doing customer quilts for several months. If I didn't know I shouldn't be able to do something, I didn't have any trouble doing it. I took a couple of quilts to my beginner's lesson to get feedback on if I was doing things right and the teacher about fell over. I didn't know any better. The funny thing was, I think I learned most of what I know from this board. I lurked for a year before I got my machine, so I was able to avoid a lot of the pitfalls that get us newbies and hit the floor running.

Thanks everyone for all the information and encouragement....I definetly need it...I can't wait to start practicing. We just received the rest of our parts to finish putting Millie together.

If anyone has anything else to suggest ...I am a sponge ready to absorb everything.

Which Pantos would you suggest buying first to paractice with?

Thank You,

Getting Ready in Texas,

Starla

Starla, Hi! I'm a Texan also, from Plano, north of Dallas. Welcome!!! My favorite overall freehand is loops of all sizes, then puzzle-piece meandering, and leaves. My favorite pantos are Hurricane, Popcorn, Petal Flambe, Bubbles, & Splash. I've heard the Deb's Swirls are fast & easy also. I get mine from Quilts Complete; they have tons to choose from! Remember, after practice quilting on muslin, the animal shelters can use your pieces instead of throwing them away! Best of luck & have fun!!!!!

Dayna

:)sscquilting@yahoo.com

Welcome to the list, congratulations on your Millie and my advice is to just have fun. If it isn't fun, don't do it. Life is too short and we all have our own styles and our customers just love us for our individual styles. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing that you 'have to' do and nothing that you can't do.

Enjoy!

Welcome - you will have a blast. I have had my Millie since July. Everything already said is true - PPP and relax and breath!!! Also, my friend, Hester, told me to pick something (pantos, certain shapes, whatever) and work on it until I felt that I was getting pretty good. Then move on to something else. That gave me goals to work on and my improvement started going at a faster clip. I chose pantos first and now have worked to the front of the machine and am working other things. Have so much to learn and master but am turning out the quilts and am having so much fun. Remember to post your works of art!!! We all love to look!

I attended my intial class today in Lewisville,Tx with Connie Keller....She did a GREAT job...lots of very good info....I am ready to use up some thread now.....whatch out here I go....

Thanks again for all the information...I think sticking to one design until I feel like I can do it well sounds like a good way to start...

So Excited,

Starla

Welcome and congratlations Starla on your new toy. You are going to enjoy yourself beyond measure! I'm am new to this forum and there is much help and info here. I am loving machine quilting more than I ever did before I got my Lenni. I've never posted pictures:), but we do like pictures.

Welcome Starla, Just a few words of encouragement. 1. Don't be too hard on yourself. We are all our own worst critic. 2. Play some music while you work, keeps you loose 3. Inhale, Exhale, Inhale, you get the idea... 4. Have fun, try new things 5. Stop every 10 min or so and shake your arms, do a dance, stay loose. 6. If you have Questions, come here and many experience quilters are ready and able to give you some tips and suggestions. 7. Be sure to post pictures of your work. We all love pictures and love to see what everyone is doing.

Again, welcome to the forum......:cool:

• 1 month later...

Archived