? about loading a quilt that has been already started quilted?

HI! I called Bonnie B on this, left a message on her recorder, (HI BONNIE!) :)but am anxious to get started.... a custome brought me a quilt she started on her DM. She has some of the blocks SID ....wants me to finish the quilt. The backing is not square to the quilt. If I just cut it at the top and bottom of the backing to square with the quilt top, would that be ok? I then was thinking to just put it on the backing leaders. does that sound right? Thanks for your help if you understand me!!:D linda

I've had two quilts like that recently. Both had been started by hand and then the quilters decided to have me finish the rest. If the sandwich is fairly stable, I would just load it. Unless the edges so crazy that you will never get it to roll evenly. I found the center using the top, not the backing and then matched that center to my leaders. Hopefully you have enough room to attach your leaders. One of mine had been trimmed to about 1" bigger than the top!

Just my two cents worth. I'm sure others will answer shortly.

Look at it this way: Sometimes I stabilize my quilts on the longarm by doing SID around the blocks and border area and then I have the option of completely removing this quilt from the leaders, and turning the quilt sideways and repinning to the leaders. Sounds like your quilt would be similar. As long as it's stabilized with stitching and/or pins then you are OK to pin it to the take up roller and the backer roller (the one your belly bumps into.

Archived