Other ways to make money

quite awhile back Joann Hoffman was turning out some outstanding sweatshirts that were quilted. Maybe they are still on her site. Worth looking at. Outstanding work. I believe she even shows how she did them on the machine. Another thing you can do is quilt fabric out and make quilted tote bags! There are some great patterns out today to choose from . I have one that actually can fit a lap computer!!!!!!!

It is easier earn money quilting for others--including quilting for decorators--than it is to invest your money and time in materials to make quilted items for sale.

Unless of course you quilt on commission. That way you have a contract and money up front--like a commissioned jacket or quilt. T-shirt quilts are a good example and many augment their income that way--especially in college towns.

Trying to sell finished quilts, wallhangings, placemats, tablerunners, etc. is difficult and time consuming. No one wants to pay a reasonable price for hand-done items when the imports are so inexpensive.

Contact local decorators and send them a business card and a small discount on their first order. Be advised that decorators are middlemen and will want "wholesale" prices for your quilting but will be charging their clients retail. Stick to your regular pricing structure and add any special handling charges for problems you may encounter with decor fabrics like linen or silk. And I would also advise them that you are a quilter, not a seamstress so the assembly of quilted valances, pillows, and bedcovers are not part of the deal--unless you ARE a seamstress and then that assembly would be a separate charge.

Good luck and I hope you can find something wonderful to add to your business offerings.

I've been teaching a beginning piecing class here in my studio. My niece and 2 of her friends asked me to teach them. Not huge money in it but I think they will be become my quilting customers too. I also carry basic supplies like mats, rotary cutters etc. for purchase.

I'm making a little money that way as well as having fun!

Bonnie

I think www.etsy.com is a great way to sell product.Here is a link to the sweatshirt info.http://p.webshots.com/flash/smallslideshow.swf" flashvars="playList=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.webshots.com%2Fslideshow%2Fmeta%2F560246336LeSPZX%3Finline%3Dtrue&inlineUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.webshots.com%2FinlinePhoto%3FalbumId%3D560246336%26src%3Ds%26referPage%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fgood-times.webshots.com%2Fslideshow%2F560246336LeSPZX&postRollContent=http%3A%2F%2Fp.webshots.com%2Fflash%2Fws_postroll.swf&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fgood-times.webshots.com%2Fslideshow%2F560246336LeSPZX&audio=on&audioVolume=33&autoPlay=false&transitionSpeed=5&startIndex=0&panzoom=on&deployed=true" menu="false" quality="best" width="425" height="384" name="WebshotsSlideshowPlayer"base="http%3A%2F%2Fp.webshots.com%2Fflash%2F" wmode="opaque" allowScriptAccess="always" loop="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macromedia.com%2Fgo%2Fgetflashplayer">

How to make the quilted sweatshirt

I also sell quilt patterns, although when I am busy with quilting I find it hard to spend the time that I should on the patterns. I also teach and lecture and work on commission. Anything to keep from going back to work for JoAnne Fabrics! Yuck!!!

Here is my page on Quilter's Warehouse!

http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/storeitems.asp?bc=VQS

I have worked for decorators, Done some teaching, and custom work. I found the best is Decorators then teaching (future customers). Tried custom work this does not work people as said on the above post cannot wrap their head around the difference in what you do compared to Wallmart. Class and taste somehow goes out the window when the price is mentioned.

Ginny (of the glue fame)LOL :):):):):)

Nita mentioned that pet stuff sells. I had an idea of making little quilts for kitties to lay on with catnip in them. Do you think that would work. I was always going to try that when I had a house kitty to see if she would lay there instead of wanting to cuttle up on the quilt I had loaded. Maybe it's been done already?

To Robin:

If you want to direct your attention towards cats, I suggest that you use wool fabric. You can buy used wool garments at Goodwill and Salvation Army (avoid wool blends if possible). I don't know about dogs, but cats LOVE wool. And cats are so curious that they will find it without it even being shown to them.

The idea of catnip might appeal to the owner (and buyer of your product), although catnip is a stimulant to the cat and not conducive to sleeping. Marketing-wise, I'd stick with wool being a natural fiber and all. I would even be comfortable guaranteeing that any cat would love it (100% wool).

from the Internet:

"Catnip drives (most) cats to distraction. They'll rub themselves on it, roll on the plants, and nip at it, becoming quite oblivious to all around them. About 80% of cats are susceptible though older cats may lose the impulse and kittens do not react at all until they are somewhere between four and six months. Females tend to be more strongly attracted than males."

It would be most interesting to see if a "wool lure" would keep them away from a loaded quilt. I may have to try that myself. The lure of the quilt is partly because it is new, and cats also love new anything. This "loving new anything" is also called curiosity.

Ann,

Thanks for the info. I know my kitty would always go for good old cotton batting. If I had a piece of that lying around she would sleep on it. Thanks for the info on wool...and the catnip lesson...shows how much I know. I just thought they liked it...I didn't know it would drive them to distraction! Never have tried the stuff. But will try the wool idea the next time my kitty comes home for a visit from my daughter's house.

Linda - An APQS (6 to 8 hour) Beginner's class is $200.00 for the day per person (unless it's part of the purchase of a new or certified machine - then it's free). If a local longarmer, who does not own an APQS machine, wants a Beginner's class, I charge $200.00.

We have another la in NC who is charging either $25 or $50 per day/per class/per person and includes lunch! She gets anywhere from 4 to 6 students at a time. She is very talented and personally I think she is giving her talent away but that is the cool thing about owning your own business! She can do what she wants!

Linda, I do agree I don't think I would give my time away for less than what you would make if you were doing a queen sized or king sized quilt that you could quilt in a day.... If your charge works out to be more than $200.00 a day then reconsider the amount and if its less I would consider charging up to $200.00 a day.

I think I said that clearly...but mud is pretty thick this time of year, and right now I'm so cold my brain is frozen....haven't felt my feet in 2 days.....Maybe I will ask for some wooly slippers for Christmas....:cool::P

• 2 weeks later...

Being a professional artist for years (oils,watercolors,assemblage and collage) I have made many small and mid size pieces of art with my longarm recently and they sell quite well. We own a quilt store and have "Art in the Garden" once a year, where we sell all of our samples and my art work from the previous year. The garden behind our store (we also live attached to the store) is beautiful and everyone loves to take classes and stare out the glass doors from the classroom. I find most people who don't quilt buy the samples and the quilters will by the artwork that is quilted. I wouldn't say that I make a terrific amount of money, but I sure get to play all year round as well as quilt!

I think animal related items are great. Try your local pet store for customers. I've made a cat "travel" pillow for my friend's cat. She likes to ride in the truck and sit on the middle consol but it was so slippery she'd always slide off. I made a padded pillow out of flannel with cats on it and then hand-tack a small piece of rubber shelf lining on the bottom to keep it from moving. My friend says it's the first place the cat goes to when they travel. I also made padded dog beds for my babies in my quilt room. I just used all the bits and pieces of batting and material that I refused to throw away. Now as I snip and cutIt keeps them from trying to lay under my feet when I quilt.

Archived