permanent marker on plastic overlay

Robin

Has anyone messed up (like me) and drawn on your plastic overlay with a permanent marker instead of a water soluable one? I'm thinking I'm going to have to live with it, but if anybody knows a trick to get the marker off of the plastic, please reply! (I didn't even know I did it...I thought I was drawing on a piece of paper to continue a line!) Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Thanks guys. I try one or all of them! I can't believe I did that. I think I remember a teacher saying don't have a permanent marker anywhere near your machine table! I should have listened...I had a panto that didn't have a continuation row so I was rigging up my own on paper I thought. I still don't know how I got goofed up! Live and learn.

The miracle sponge suggestion made me think of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I had one at home so I tried that first before going down the list of suggestions you gave me. Anyway, it worked like a charm. You would never know the permanent marker was there and it didn't scratch the plastic. Those things are amazing...my daughter dripped black permanent hair dye on my cream vanity and after trying everything I could think of I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it took it right off. Thanks, Sharon! I don't know if Magic Eraser is what you meant but it worked.

I have done this on a white board, and what you do is to write over the top of the premanent marker with a dry erase marker. Then you erase what you can and you will be able to take the rest off with white board cleaner.

I don't know if this works on acrylic or not, but it might be worth a try. I think whiteboard cleaner is less abrasive than fingernail polish remover etc.

Guess you don't need this anymore, but maybe someone who doesn't have a Mr. Clean eraser will be able to use this info.

yes yes yes - Mr. Eraser - it is my answer for absolutely EVERYTHING. It also cleans every bit of "gunk" off your iron - I've tried the iron off stuff and all the other gunk removers and all I have to do is go over it a couple times with Mr. Eraser and it ALL comes off - it truly is a miracle product

Go to Home Depot and get a can of Denatured Alcohol. I will not be without it in my sewing room.

I use Quilted cotton squares from the drugstore cosmetic department.

I clean all my machines with it and it will take off permanent marker from your plastic.

You will find there are many uses for it cleaning up in the sewing room.

Hope this helps you all.

Bobette

Paradise, CA

Robin, I have a way to get permanent marker off your overlay. Believe it or not, spray your overlay w/hairspray and wipe clean. You may not get all of it, but what remains will not be very evident. This trick came from my two nieces who are teachers and run into this issue (cloths, books, teacher's skin, etc) all the time. I used it and it worked for me. It doesn't matter what kind of hairspray but I wouldn't use my $12/can hairspray. Try it and let me know. ;)

The pre-packaged alcohol wipes work super on removing permanent marker from vinyl overlays and baggies. Probably could just get some rubbing alcohol and paper towel. Know this works from personal experience - making so many mistakes that is! Go use a Sharpie on a baggie, then use some alcohol and be amazed at how well it works!

Cheap, non-aerosol hairspray will remove inks from any fabrics too. Spray and soak inked/marked area well, make sure you have paper towel in behind affected area and blot with paper towel from the top. Continue doing this until ink stain has disappeared...must be done before any laundering as heat will usually set ink.

Archived