Getting pantos to mesh???

I know that somewhere on this site this was discussed before but I can't locate the thread so I hope some one can jump on with some assistance. Last night I was working with a panto that meshes with the row above and on my second pass I noted that I should have move the second row up about 1/2'' for better effect and to help eliminate that "row" look from happening. On the 3rd pass I had moved the row up to be closer to the previous one but it had some how shifted about 1/2-3/4" to the left and now over lapped slightly with previous row. This is only a practice piece so no frogging, but I know there is a way of dropping the needle into the quilt, advancing the quilt to line up the panto but I'll be darned if I can remember the technique. I just decided to hang it up for the night because I was getting fustrated over something that I know I know how to do. Does anyone remember the posting on meshing pantographs? Is there a video on line? I think there is but can't locate it. I don't care so much about lining up the edeges.

To top it off,the panto I had been wanting to practice with, this flowery little number, has been sitting on my computer desk staring at me for weeks. I finally had some time last evening to give it a try. After peeling off the label with the panto design, I think it had been adhered with cement, it turns out the panto was a different one and had all over feathers!

Dianne

Dianne

Here is what I do. When you are lining up the 1st and second row, when done with the first row I put my needle in where I want the second row to start. Usually about a 1/2in above the 1st row. Or if there is a dotted line there at top of design. I put my needle there and adjust the lazor light to that line or at that point of where the second row should start. Sometimes the design you have must then go up and grab when design starts. (after you adjust the lazor and needle position) hope this makes sense. Maybe someone can jump in and say different to understand if not clear.

I went to the site. You have to click on the Statler Stitcher thing on the top right of the page. That takes you to a page where you can access the drop downs better, then click on about us and from there you find the video's. Sorry, it wasn't that hard when I found it the first time. Don't know what they did to their web page.

Dianne

HOW TO SEARCH

Go up to the Search in the blue bar at the top of the page.

A new window opens. Type "placing pantos" (no quotes) in the first box Search for

DO Not hit enter just yet.

Then SCROLL DOWN and in the from box change that to 6 weeks. (you won't find anything if you leave it at the default of one week. After changing to 6 months, now click on the Search button.

Wollah!! There is the thread that you were looking for.

vg

If my panto design is a two row panto, I draw the beginning of a 3rd row and just lay it under the plastic above the 2nd row. Then when I need to advance I put my needle at a place on the 3rd row I drew and advance my rollers until the laser light is at that same place on the first row. I also check once across the quilt at that same point to make sure it stays lined up and doesn't overlap anywhere. Example if I placed my needle in the point of a flower on the partial 3rd row then I advance the quilt until the light is lined up with the same point of a flower in the first row. Then check once across the quilt, sometimes I check twice. It's easier to double check then it is to rip out a row of stitching that over laps. Some pantos have the a portion of the next row partially started to help you line up and some (Linda Taylor designs) have a dot that says top and bottom that you put your needle in and advance to. You guys are right this is really hard to explain.

Remember, too, that if you end up with a little too much gap - you can go back and add some stitching to kind of hide the "too much space" between rows. To make sure that you are not too close, run the laser along the bottom of your pattern clear across the table - look up and ck to see where your needle will be as you stitch the next row - if it looks as if you will have an overlap, now is the time to adjust!! - before actually stitching! Ask me how I know!!! not so LOL at the time!!

Archived