What kind of fusible web do you use for applique?

I recently pieced a quilt with a lot of applique on it using the double fusible web "steam a seam 2". I found it rather messy and that it really gummed up my sewing machine needle. I am wondering what kind of fusible web others are using, or is this as good as it gets?

Thanks for you input, Helen. ;)

I haven't really liked the steam-a-steam all that much. I now use sewable heat-n-bond. I have picked it up at Joanne's (there's a sewable and no-sew version - be careful). It seems to bond better and I haven't had any issues with it gumming up my needles. A group of us are doing slice quilts which involves alot of heat-n-bond work and satin stitching. No issues so far.

Once I get all my 'slices' back I need to put it together and quilt it. I'll post pics once it's done in the spring...

Wonder under is the only way to go. This is what I use and I really like it. It sticks and the paper doesn't peel. It is pretty light too. I have gotten some other types by mistake before and I can really tell the difference. They were all unpleasant to work with.

On a recent table topper I did, I had partial of wonder under, heat-n-bond (at least I think that is what it was) and it had some gold lamay (sp??)) so I used the glue on that since I was told not to fuse it. The wonder under was very nice and posed no problems quilting over it. I did get adventurous and used my LA to do the applique part. The thicker fusible web was kind of crispy or stiff and didn't quilt as nicely. The glued part seperated from the backing and the fabric curled up a little bit. Now mind you it was an unusual application and you might not have this problem if you use a blanket stich or satin stitch instead of a straight stich on the LA... but this was my experience.

I really like applique and have never had a problem with the wonder under... Oh one more thing, some of the others show a texture through the lighter covered fabrics, so if you run you finger accross them and they are kind of grainy you might have that problem.

It depends on how you'll use it but I've used Wonder Under with great success. It is very light but I also cut each shape into a 'donut' by hollowing out the fusible in the center and keeping only about 1/2 inch around the outside of the shape (so that 1/4 inch remains inside the line to actually fuse the piece and 1/4 inch gets cut away but you're sure that the fusing goes ALL the way to the edge of each applique piece.) Does this make sense? Also, if you sew a bit slower there will be less glue build up on the needle. Teacher & author Joan Shay even sews on the no sew Heat & Bond but v e r y s l o w l y.

I have used Steam-A-Seam lite and no problems with gumming or being too heavy. But, I have recently been using Misty Fuse by Esterita Austin and it is great. It is much thiner than steam a seam and doesn't seem to change the hand of the fabric. No problem with sewing on it at all. I have to order it through her site since no one around here carries it.

Barbara in MI:P

I use steam-a-seam2 lite. The regular is just too heavy.

BUT, no matter what you use, if the store or you have had it on the shelf too long, any fusible will "dry out" and make it hard to work with (yes, even in WA state!) So make sure you buy from a store that sells enough to keep a fresh supply and when you get it home, store it in a ziplock bag to keep it from drying out.

I am really amused by this batch of answers - apparently you've all used virtually all the types of fusibles on the market or a glue alternative. Steam-a-Seam regular seems to be the only loser although I've never had a problem with it. Sheila's comment about fusibles drying out is right on but the problem can be cured. Do store your fusible in a plastic bag. If it is drying out anyway (separating from the paper too easily), spritz some water into the bag and leave it for a few hours or longer. I've had great success with that re-hydration technique.

Bobbie Moon

New Moon Textiles

Pasadena, CA

Archived