Doing trapunto in applique?

Hi all, I am just about finishing an applique quilt (invisible machine, that is. I haven't completely lost my mind, lol) and would like to lightly trapunto the applique. Does this mean I will have to quilt inside the applique pieces with water sol, then trim, then sid with invisible? If I do it that way, I am comcerned that I will have holes in my applique, and I might screw up previous invible stitching with the water sol. Can I just do SID with the invible and then trim as close as humanly possible? but then would I have to SID again. Something about this is not jelling in my head...

Here is a pic off the web, I am doing mine larger (12" blocks) and in non-christmas colors.

post--13461900932979_thumb.jpg

Caron,

That is a gorgeous quilt! My favorite is applique! I would use the water soluable and do it in the ditch on on the applique itself. I rarely go into the applique when quilting. I like the piecing to do the talking and I just SID. I've never had a problem doing the trapunto that way. You might also consider doing a faux trapunto using dream puff. If you quilt the background down really well the applique pieces will look like they are trapuntoed without all the work. I can't wait to see this done!

I haven't tried this method, but you can do un-trimmed trapunto after loading the top.

Take some Press and Seal plastic wrap and cover the design you want to trapunto.

Use a blue water soluble marker to trace the design--hopefully not too intricate--the applique in the photo looks like lots of individual flowers so I cannot say whether this way is do-able.

Lay the drawn design on a poly batting of your choice and cut out the pattern pieces just INSIDE the lines. These pieces are pushed under the top and lay on the batting--pin in place and do your SID around the appliques. If some of the batting is caught outside the stitching it will not be very noticable and you may plan to do a close-stitched fill on the background anyway.

This works best with simple shapes and medium-to-large designs. It is way quicker that double stitching the appliques and then there is all that trimming :P:P:P!!

Credit note: The above technique was taught by Sally Terry.

Can't wait to see this one finished!!

Hi, Caron. I trapunto my applique, doing it the way you said first. I stitch the trapunto batting on with the water-soluble thread, right around the outside edge of the applique pieces, not sewing on the applique but right on the edge, then trim as close to the edge as I can without cutting the stitching. But if you do cut through occasionally, that's alright too. I would also trapunto my quilting designs at the same time. Trapunto would look great in your sashing and the white outer border. Cut away trapunto is a lot of work, but it really makes a beautiful quilt!

Caron,

I did it the old fashioned way, and it really was a long process but of course, it looked great.

Now, after saying that. H E L L O....Linda, .....Oh Mighty One of Great Ideas!

I think i'd do it Linda's way if at all possible. WOW.

I'm ALWAYS learning on this site every day.

Love that pattern Caron. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I love Sally Terry's "stuff." I actually sent her a photo of a design of mine that looks similar to hers and I think she put it on her site. I never did check but she asked if she could. Caron, that quilt you are using as a sample is beautiful! Please post pics as soon as you are on your way with yours. Hummmmmm, I was wondering, why couldn't you spray baste those batting shapes in place "before" you put them on the longarm. I guess they would get pulled out of place in the rolling or the top wouldn't lay flat, huh?

This may be a dumb question but I have to ask. After cutting the batting the way Linda's described, couldn't you spray baste the batting pieces and stick them to the back of each design on the top? This would save having to reach in and stuff them between the backing and original batting. This inquiring mind wants to know. :P

If you don't want thread on your applique do it the old fashioned way. Use water soluable thread, cut away from back of applique and relayer on your machine with new batting and quilt away. You would only have to go around the outside parameter of the applique for the cutaway but it is time consuming.

I am assuming this is a customer quilt so unless they are willing to pay for this kinda time Not sure the advice is very good. lol

Can't wait to see what you do. I know it will be just beautiful regardless of the technique your choose. The top is just delicious. Very pretty.

Grammie

Originally posted by MtnBarb

This may be a dumb question but I have to ask. After cutting the batting the way Linda's described, couldn't you spray baste the batting pieces and stick them to the back of each design on the top? This would save having to reach in and stuff them between the backing and original batting. This inquiring mind wants to know. :P

Barb, That would probably work if you did it as you went along but I doubt it would stick well enough to roll. I did this once with a NY Yankee quilt and I had to glue it with elmers to get it to hold well enough. That worked out really well. I did set a book on top of it until the glue dried so that I had good contact. This method will only work if it isn't an intricate design.

Archived