Rainbow thread WHY?

I love the colors of Rainbow thread and I don't always have issues with it but when I do man I do. I think I have read every past post on here to try to figure out what is going on. Started out with plastic prewound bobbins of Rainbow. Tension was doing mm ok, then break bobbin, tweak things break bobbin, again and again. Slowly took the bobbin out of case and saw where thread wound off and wrapped around post. Tried to put a cardboard piece in the case, didn't work, tried to taking check spring out, put cardboard piece then the plastic bobbin, nope. Different bobbin case with just the plastic bobbin, nope. Rewound thread onto a metal bobbin, nope. Now top thread is breaking, tension is looking good. Loosened top, thread puke on back.

Is Lava easier? Willing to order and take this one off and frog it.

Sheryl...I can't say Lava is easier....I use the So Fine or Bottom Line in the bobbin and then lava on top....love the look its thick like King Tut, but also has a shin to it. I really liked it...It never once broke on me. Have several colors now, and am thinking I might even replace it in my line up instead of the King Tut.

Sheryl,

Did I understand you right, a plastic prewound of Rainbows? I don't think you can use a plastic bobbin in the APQS machine or any high speed longarm. I have used Rainbows, Highlights, Lava -- in my bobbin with great success

I would try these things:

- clean bobbin area

-check bobbin tension finger on bobbin case -- make sure it is clean underneath and is sitting in the correct position (sitting in notch)

- make sure bobbin was wound correctly -- I have to add a little pressure to my thread when I wind specialty thread

- do not wind bobbin completely full

- start with loose tension on top and bottom

- get bobbin tension right first -- then work on top

- if you have a TOWA you can use it, but I tend to loosen my tension a little more than recommended when using HL or R

- thread you top the way Dawn recommends for metallic thread -- (See her article on the website)

I am pretty good at using special threads so if you have a problem you can always give me a call

225-715-5524

Sandra, I'm not going to deal with this anymore tonight but I will call you in the morning. Thank you very much. I did all the things you suggested, even changed the needle, wiped the machine down with a softner sheet, put hair in pony tail. Oh well, I feel better that I can call and get some help.

Till tomorrow.

Love rainbows but I also use so fine in the bobbin. I found my ends didn't stay knotted as nicely when i used rainbows in both bobbin and top. Sometimes, when I'm really having trouble with thread breaking and have checked just about everything. I slightly mist the quilt top with plain ole water. This seems to put some moisture back in the thread and it doesn't break anymore. Just a thought.

I saw in the Superior Threads newsletter that they are discontinuing their cotton pre-wound L bobbins and now offering pre-wounds of Masterpiece. There has been a lot of back and forth about Masterpiece used on the longarm with the consensus that is is too weak as a two-ply to be used. Anybody use it as bobbin thread?

(I use plastic BL pre-wound bobbins with great success.)

Sandra, Thank you so much for spending the time with me on the phone. I really appreciate it you are a sweetie. I got to where I was quilting in manual and no breakage. Put into SR and breakage. So I really paid attention on what I was doing and listening to my machine. I kept my movements really steady and smooth and I could hear the machine speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down. I know for a fact that I was consistent with my movements. Could something be wrong with my SR?

I used plastic prewounds in my APQS machines for a while - I preferred the paper so I cound tear the side off.

If I remember correctly, Grammie Tammie's solution for Rainbows (on top - not bobbin) was to turn the needle eye. If normal position is 6:30 then turn your needel to 6:35. It was just a smidge but it helped. And loosen the top tension a bit. If you are running poly in the bobbin, I would loosen that, too. I haven't had much call for Rainbows. But I do love the colors.

Jeanne aka Shadows4 uses Rainbows all the time. She loves it! I think the girl has every color ever made :) I have used it, I like it, some breaking - but like they said you have to loosen that tension.

I love prewounds...but have never seen or tried the plastic prewounds. I use the paper sided and leave the paper on :o

Hi Sandra,

Since you are giving such great thread advice...how about Bottom Line? I must be the only one who is not yet successful at running it on top. It just seems stretchy on my machine. If I get it loose enough, it seems to settle in between the tension disks...and nest on the center post...then gets stuck. At this point, I've completely given up on it and do not go thinner than So Fine. Cottons, Highlights and metallics are all fine.

I have great luck with all other Superior (and other brands and types of) thread. My 2007 Liberty just does not like BL on top! I'd like to be able to use it and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks very much.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

I have used BL a LOT in the past two years, top and bottom. And since I picked up my first box of BL prewounds at MQS last year, I haven't used anything but those - love 'em! I don't have any problem running BL on top, and I just finished a batik quilt that I did with Rainbows on top and BL prewounds on back. Maybe three times in the whole quilt the thread broke, and I blame some of that on the "sharpness" of the batik fabric. For me, Rainbows on top requires just a little more attention to the tension issues - the first time it broke, I loosened the top tension - MISTAKE! If I'd looked underneath, I would have seen a single loop of top thread and known to TIGHTEN the top tension. Oh, well, didn't have to frog TOOOO much......;)

It is JMHO that each and every machine has its own unique personality. I have three APQS machines: Millie, Freedom SR and an Ultimate I. The thread path that I use for each machine may be different even though I am using the same type thread. Does that make sense? I have used every type of Superior Thread on my longarms with great success. I even use Halo quite a bit.

My Millie runs BL great with little or no adjustment. My Freedom however, prefers a slightly modified path when I use BL.

Lisa, try a few modified thread paths. Weave the thread in the pre-tensioner 3 - hole guide instead of wrapping it around the hole guides. Sometimes I use two holes on the first 3 - hole thread guide. Adjust the first thread guide above the spool. I have a lot of static electricity at times. I keep a piece of a dryer sheet wrapped around the small piece of batting I use in the first thread guide.

Have someone run your machine and you step back and watch the thread following the thread path. Have your helper run the machine in SR mode and not using the ST. You will be amazed at how much difference there is in how the thread reacts with the machine.

I play around with the thread a lot, studying how it reacts to different situations.

Linda, I am using Masterpiece, top and bottom, with great success. Now, if I could just figure out a way to get Razzle Dazzle through the eye of the needle!!!

Sandra

Good morning and thank you, Sandra.

I am eager to try the weaving rather than wrapping! Who-da-thunk-it?! I am determioned to make it work.

A few months ago, I was told to replace the tension assembly...but I dreaded taking it all apart...so I never called the factory to get the replacement. The machine has not been used enough to need it. Everything else runs so well, with minor adjustments, so in my mind there must be a way to get BL to work too. With your suggestion, it may really work after all!

Thanks. I'll try it out and let you know. I appreciate the help.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Great advice from Sandra on tension issues.

For me, I have discovered that when I have issues with my bobbin thread breaking, I clean her real good. She gets a complete overhaul cleaning in the bobbin area. I take the needle plate off and do a good blow out (while the machine is running slow speed) all over with the air compressor to get any fluff and stuff that's tucked in the nooks and crannies. Then, she gets an ultra super soaking (twice) with WD-40 and I let that WD 40 ooze and run (on slow speed) in the machine for about 3-5 minutes. Then I spin dry and wipe, then give her a real super good dose of machine oil in the hook area, and also a few drops of oil from up above with the needle plate off. I let that run (on slow speed) for about 3-5 mintues. Wipe down and she's nice an happy again. I make sure the spring in the bobbin case (fingers/prongs) are sticking out and that no fluff & stuff is in there underneath.

When I do this thorough cleaning routine, rarely do I have problems with bobbin breaking.

When I'm using sensitive threads like Rainbows, I set everything Loosey Goosey in the bobbin and on the top. Set bobbin tension more loose than normal, and then adjust your top accordingly. I have had success using Rainbows, metallics and other threads like Valdani without any troubles at all. The trick is to go loose both places. When in doubt, GO LOOSE! :P

Also, try a larger needle. If you're using a 4.0, try a 4.5. That might help immensely to resolve any top thread breaking.

Good luck, Sheryl!

I agree with Sandra that the machines have their own personality. I have had my Lenni since August and overall I have to say that it has been pretty trouble free so far. I did have little things missing when delivered and the vertical SR went out after a few weeks but when it comes to thread and tension no problems yet. I used BL(black) once on top and bobbin and it worked like a dream. I was apprehensive after reading about how tempermental these machines were about thread. I also used a different color (BL) in the bobbin and serger thread in the top and never made any adjustments in the tension or thread path, and had no pokies showing on front or back. I haven't used a lot of specialty thread, not even the Lava that came with the machine,which I hear is not easy to work with,but so far so good. I hope it continues that way because I truly hate to have a tweek the machine every time I touch it. Just like on a DMS, when I sit down to sew I want to sew; not, sit down to sew and then now what's wrong.:mad: I am having trouble with the lock for the roller. It won't hold the roller. I'm going to call and see if I can purchase this part at a hardware store. (Sorry, not thread or tension related.)

I have gotten good success with Rainbows when I run the thread just through the last hole of the 3 hole guide (the one right above the tensioner). In the winter I have to run my humidifier else I get a lot of static which seems to really affect the Rainbows. Some gals put a crockpot full of water on low to get the same effect.

I love the Rainbows. They are my favorite thread. I use them 80% of the time, and nearly always with Bottom Line in the bobbin. I also put the tension on VERY loose for Rainbows.

Julia

I've said it before, Rainbows is my STAPLE thread, as well as being my all time favorite. I say it's like a lovely pair of diamond earrings that brings attention to the wearers face and not themselves.

I agree with Sandra about all the machines having different likes. You just have to experiment and see what yours likes.

Mine likes the tension LOOSE LOOSE LOOSE! I'm talking 10-11 (100-110 on new gage) on the Towa bobbin gage. I don't have to change my wrap on the 3 hole guide for Rainbows or Bottom line if my rotary tension is loose enough, but I do have to weave instead of wrap it for King Tut.

I did have issues with Bottom Line with my old (another brand) machine. It had so much twist to it (the BL) that it caused it to rub and break every few inches. I have great luck with it on my Freedom SR but run it very loose.

Hope you figure it out. Those are great threads and it would be sad to have to do without them in your color pallet. :D

Archived