Machine height - what a difference

ramona-quilter

I noticed my back was a bit sore last week after using my very first panto. I knew I was tense but not that tense.

So I came to the forum and found that my machine might be a bit low. I am almost 6 feet tall, I could almost straddle the backing roller. On the back, the bottom of the table top was just a couple inches above my knees.

The old forum post said that the backing roller should be waist high. Duh, so that's why people call it the belly bar. So my husband raised it. It still did not come to my waist. He raised it again. It now sits just below my waist.

It was 4 inches too low. :o

In the process, he leveled the machine. And wow it

just glides now and no backache.

Even these old posts help. If only the forum knew where I lost my tape measure.....:D

I just watched Noriko Endo on Simply Quilts. She was showing how she does her landscape quilts using the tiny pieces of fabric. Anyway, she quilted it on her longarm and the height of her longarm was very high, close to her bustline. Her arms were even reaching up a little. Don't know if this is because it was the height it was set at the studio and she was just going with it, or if this is the height she always does it. As I mentioned at another time, I feel like I'm having to peek under my machine to see where I'm going. So I'm going to try and really set my machine high to start out with and see how it goes. Since the fabric is below the bars on the APQS machines it seems to need to be high. I was watching a quilter using another brand of machine and it was the first time I noticed that the fabric went over all the bars on that machine, so it made the fabric come up higher.

Hello Myrna...

Yes I loved Noriko. I loved what she did with all those little scraps, and then to be able to do it on the longarm was even better. I would never have the talent it would take to do one of those picture quilts, but it would be fun to try just because it is so different. I would probably end up with some kind of modern art!!! I could name it "Fabric Without a Clue." It would probably turn out like a water color I did one time. It was beautiful if you stood about 20 feet away!!!

I kind of figured she was just using the machine as it was, but just wanted to make sure. My husband raised my machine yesterday so that the backing roller is even with my belly button, which raised it about 3 inches. Can't wait to see if there is a difference.

Diane

Hi Gals......

I have the hydraulic table lift and it enables one to raise and lower even in really small increments, your back will really appreciate it for sure.

It's really a very very valuable tool for us all, you might want to consider it.

Happy Quilting,

Linda B.

Oregon

APQS Millennium

Linda B,

Where did you get this hydraulic lift and do you know if it can be

retrofitted. Two of my friends use my machine and they are about

6 inches shorter than me. They haven't seen the machine since I

raised it this past week-end. I hope they don't need a step-up stool.:D

The hydraulic lift sounds like it has possibilities. Appreciate any info.

I keep mine a lttle higher than most. The laser light plug is right at my belly button. This allows my arms to be at a natural bend for doing pantographs. The backing bar is just above my waist and my for arms rest easily on the top bar as I work. I usually use a chair when quilting from the front however. the hydraulic lif sounds great but a little too pricey for me I'm afraid.

I'm waiting to hear where you got the hydraulic lift, too. Sounds great.

I have my machine up as high as it'll go, plus it's propped up on 2-by-4's! Works great.

A problem I still need to resolve is that when doing pantos (particularly intricate ones) I hold onto the handles so tight that I feel like I'm landing a 747! Boy, do I have to exercise my fingers!:D

kwilter,

I know what you mean. My shoulders and back start to ache and

I have to force myself to relax. I know I don't have to get a death-grip

on the handles but I concentrate so hard on staying on the line that

my hands just seem to tighten. Once I relax my stance, I do better.

I hear one longarmer say she listens to music to keep her relaxed while

she's quilting.

Yeah, a little Santana sound like a good idea....:cool:

Linda...

Maybe music will help the death grip...I'll have to try it!! Here's an idea for the shoulders and back ~ this week I bought a DVD called Yoga for Dummies!!! A relative of mine commented on how her back was feeling so much better after just a week of trying yoga. This tape seems to be a good one for people like me with no experience what-so-ever and absolutely no flexibility. Here's hoping for the best...I guess it can't hurt...I hope!!!

Sandra

I guess I should chime in here too! I too have just recently raised my table. I knew for a long time I should, just too chicken to mess with it I guess. ;)

kwilter, you said you have the table as high as it will go. I am curious, did you raise it up with just the leveling screws or did you raise up the inner really big screws? I called Connie to make sure I was doing it right and she told me that the large screws inside the legs will come out about 9 inches. I am 6' tall and have the machine on 5" casters, so I only needed to bring that big screw out about 3", although I think it can go a teeny bit higher.

Patty

Okay, I guess I'm confused (what else is new). My machine is sitting on a wooden 12 foot table. It is assembled according to the instructions, and it doesn't appear to be able to raise or lower.

I work mostly from the front of the machine and the top front bar (the one the top is rolled up on) is right between my waist and my bust. I don't know if this is the right height or not. I also feel like I have to stay bent over a lot, looking under the machine arm to see what I'm doing. Does this mean it is too high, or too low?

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I didn't know where else to tag my question onto, so picked this topic, but it's really about the rollers. I seem to be 100% floating all of my tops, so I was wondering what would happen if I took off the top roller. I'd have a few more inches in every turn, wouldn't I? And what, if any, dire consequences would there be?

Thanks for being out there, I need all the help I can get, and often you gals ask quwestions I haven't gotten to yet, but there are the answers sure enough!

Anne in FL

Moonrabbit Quilts

After reading this, I have got to raise my machine, too. The machine isn't too too low, and my posture is not an issue. But visibility is! I compensate by spreading my feet out till I can see what I want to see. I am excited to raise it. I dragged my hubby in to look at it, and he thought that we might not be able to raise it too much farther. He must be wrong. I am 5'6" and I think it needs to come up 4 inches to have a real belly bar. Stay tuned.

As for yoga...I cannot say enough about it and how it will help your body to be flexible and ache-free. Learn to do the sun salutations and you will be working and stretching every muscle in your body. If you have cats and have ever watched them get up from a nap, that's what sun salutations would be like for you.

Happy quilting.

LInda/9patch

A few years ago I went to a trade show in Tacoma where APQS was set up and I spoke to one of the reps about my wooden table wanting to add caster wheels as my machine could not be moved around.

They were so nice, I sent them a check and got 6 "Legs" that had wheels on them and were about 2 feet long that slid right into the bar stock the original legs were made from with the added bonus of having drilled out holes (for height adjustment) every 4 inches or so.

I just loved this as I'm 5'11 and now I can adjust the machine, with help mind you, depending on what side I'm working on.

Beth in Seattle;)

I ordered the hydraulic lift from Myrna just this week after doing my first pantograph. I should receive it real soon.

John and I had talked about the lift a week or so ago. Then he came by my workplace and said "order those parts". I said, "what parts?" (He has a welding shop so orders lots of parts). Then he said, "the parts to lift your machine." Well, it didn't take me long to contact Myrna to order them. Doing my first pantograph was a killer on my neck and shoulders after an accident over a year ago.

So, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Myrna!

Hi everyone...

Thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. I recently leased space for my Studio, purchased a second millenneum and am renting both machines to quilters after they have taken my beginning longarm class. Since the business was opened primarily to rent the machines, I had the hydraulics put on the new 14' quilt frame. I knew I'd need a different height for most of my renters and thought this would be very helpful.

I can't give it enough credit. I find that I even change the height of the frame for myself depending on whether I'm working from the back or front of the machine. It seems more comfortable for me to lower the machine when I'm doing pattern quilting from the back and raise it significantly higher when I'm doing freemotion in the front, especially if it's intricate work.

It works with just a touch of a button. Dontcha just love technology?

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

Here's a tip for you for the hydraulic lift button. The instructions have you mount it under the table!! I got tired of reaching under there to change the height and then not knowing if it was right until I stood back up again. SO, take the control button off the mounting plate and bring the cords over to the right side of the machine. I wound the cord around the frame to make it neater and "zap-stapped" it to the side of the tension block. Then I put labels on it so I could remember which one to push for up and down. Now it's SO handy. I really recommend that everyone order the hydraulic system at the time they purchase their machine. You don't know how great it is until you have it!! Here's a picture.

post--13461897798009_thumb.jpg

I've read several posts about how you have to squat down, peer under etc. to see where you're quilting from the front side of the machine. PLEASE let APQS know that this is an issue. The Dealers don't get nearly the response that the customer gets about an issue like this. We have the absolute best machine on the market (just a whole LOT of bias here!! ;)), BUT improving the visibility would make the machine perfect! Well, that and a magnifier attached to the front of the machine!

You can do something right now to improve it a lot, but we want and need a permanent solution to this. What we ask of these machines has evolved so much in the last couple of years, that we need an improvement made to the visibility issue.

Unless you have a machine that was wired especially for the Canadian electrical standards, you can move your light bar behind the needle bar and get a LOT more visibility. Just unplug the light bar (with the power off!), remove the handles and unscrew the light bar from the base that holds the handles.

Then attach a strip of industrial strength velcro, or have someone with the right tools "tap" new screw holes so you can reattach the light bar. Plug it back in and enjoy the new view! :cool:

Kimmy Brunner had this done to her machine and you can see a picture on her webshots album.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/98428541/1474235865039390773UhVzKg

BTW, this cannot be done to the Liberty or Discovery because it is part of the handle bar itself, not just attached to it.

If visibility is an issue for you, please let Mike & Mark at APQS know it's important to you.

That is such a good point Darlene. I'm looking into buying a longarm again. I owned a mille for 2 and 1/2 years and lots of quilts.

But due to my right wrist and visibility I'm seriously considering only one other brand (starts with a P), that comes close to APQS. The handle configuration is much better on my wrist and visibility is much better re: the hunch factor, for my upper spine.

Going to test it to see if the stitch quality compares.

APQS quality and service are the best.

Just wanted to share that it is an important feature consideration.:)

Archived