HELP - I quilted a pin inside the quilt

When I first saw this, I thought gee that easy I did that once, but I have to admit it wasn't a flower headed one. I just worked the regular pin to a point there I would get it through the fabric and pulled it out.

Hmmm

Is this one of your own personal quilts of a customers? If it was my own I might try to get the flower head to come apart from the pin section and just leave the flower head in there, but if its not, I think the only thing is to do some MAJOR frogging and get it out of there some how....I would only work in the section of the star....I would only open up that one seam and maybe that won't take to long to get it out of there.

Good luck...and so sorry this happened.

Yikes!! I think opening the star seam is your only option, Debbi. The angle is bad as well for straight removal.

I would open the seam, find a set of wire cutters, and first cut the pin next to the plastic head.

Use pliers or grippers to pull the sharp pin section out by the pointy-end.

Then use fingers or a tweezer/hemostat to fish out the head. Good luck--

What a gorgeous quilt!!

I think I would go for opening the star seam closest to the head of the pin. Then push the pin in more (so you see more of the pointy end) then pull it out head first. It really isn't a lot to unpick or resew and if will feel so good once you're done.

I just had to unpick and resew a diagonal seam in a backing and that only took 3 hours for the whole length (about 90").

Ferret

Oh I am so sorry this happened to you, Debbi. :( You got some great advice above. You can fix it just right; I know you can! Thank goodness it's near a seam so you can easily retrieve it.

Most likely that flowerhead pin was inadvertently left there from the customer and she didn't remove it?

When you get it out, you'll have to share the successful surgery story and the post-operation photos that shows no scar!!! ;)

Surgery was successful!! It took me about 20 minutes to remove the pin. I took out the background around the pin head, took out the SID, then took out about 1/2" of the seam. The pin came right out. The seam was sutured and the quilt is recovering!! :P:P

Hopefully that will never happen again. Kinda scary. Especially on this quilt. It is a raffle quilt for a local quilt guild. I can post some pictures when I am done. Hopefully sometime this week.

Thanks all for the advice and mostly for the reassurance!!

Debbi

Archived