NQR Shepherd's Pie-This is how I made it--pix

Boni

I just use the instant spuds instead of going to all that trouble of making mashed ones. Also I use a Knorr package of season for Goulash, but here is a easy pie recipe that can get you started...

Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs ground round beef

1 onion chopped

1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas

1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)

8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)

1/2 cup beef broth

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice

Method

1 Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).

2 While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.

3 Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.

4 Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.

5 Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.

6 Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.

7 Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.

Serves four.

This is on my menu for next week. I should take a picture when it's done. I'm seeing nicely browned potato peaks with fern feathers in the borders-----no, wait, that's quilting. So if my potatoes have curvy crosshatching on top, don't laugh, OK?

Boy, I really messed with this recipe. Sorry Shana, this isn't the one with curvy crosshatching on top. DH likes rice better than potatoes, and since it's what we have to eat for three dinners in a row, I made a substitution.

I used Bonnie Bott's suggestion: Knorr Goulash seasoning. hamburger, green peas and pearl onions, and topped it with Arborio rice. I suppose you can't really call it Shepherd's Pie now.

It is really good--except I burned it when I was reheating it in the frying pan.:o

I still want to make it with potatoes and do a little garnishing with some quilt designs. Maybe next week when the family is here. :P

Thanks Bonnie for the recipe ideas --and the cheese suggestion, and meatloaf idea too.

Reading about the shepards pie recipe brought back some funny memories from some time ago. I was at a youth hostle assoicated with Coventry Cathedral when the evening's dinner was shepards pie with apple pie for desert. The refectory (kitchen) whipped the potatos and then browned the pie such that it looked like merainge (sp? whipped egg whites with sugar). A group of young Texans were delegated to serve dinner. They had never seen shepards pie and thought it must be the desert because merainge would never be put on a dinner pie. It was only when someone questioned if Americans always ate desert first did anyone notice what had happened.

• 2 weeks later...

We did our best to crosshatch, but it was spoiled when I sprinkled the cheese on top. I'm going to keep PPP until I can do feathers on top.:P

Confession: I left the Knorr seasoning packet at the mountain, so I had to improvise with my own concoction.

Yes, Bonnie Botts, It really is Russell Pie now! :D

2344411810100404369S500x500Q85.jpg

2852626880100404369S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived