Quilt Stencils?

I have a question about a product catalog that was in our APQS demo bag. It is a new print catalog of Quilt Stencils 2004.

Can anyone tell me if they use these for isolated motifs and if so, how do they use them ? Can I assume these are a different tool from the HF stencils?

:cool:

SaundraLee in Sunny Colorado

Guest Linda S

SaundraLee - If you've seen any of the wholecloth or trapunto quilts made by Sherry Rogers or Karen McTavish, they use stencils quite a bit. I have a stash of them that I've used over the years in hand quilting and I hope eventually to incorporate them into my machine quilting. I imagine you can also use them as a pattern over a block, much the same as handquilters do.

P.S. I'm not certain these are the same type as in the catalog you got in your bag.

Linda

Thank you Linda, I will be doing a lot of trapunto work so I will check out those books you mentioned.

I am not sure how this type of stencil is used, for example are they used to directly transfer a pattern to the quilt top with marker or chalk, or set to the side to follow with the lazer? If they do not work with the Hartly Fence maybe they can be transfered to several tissue mylars by following the stencil with an unthreaded needle through several thicknesses of the mylar, which are then individually afixed [using washable spray adhesive] to the quilt top in the exact place you want, then free motioned with the quilter following the perferated holes? They demoed this at the APQS presentation here in Denver, but I didn't see the orriginal design, just the copy the sewer placed on the quilt top.

There is much to learn and an October delivery date for my APQS seems far off untill I ponder just how much more I need to discover before it ever gets here.

When is your machine due to arrive?

;)

Guest Linda S

Hi SaundraLee -

I thought my Liberty was coming mid-July to early August, but it turns out, I'm getting it the week of June 14th! I'm so jazzed I nearly need to be scraped off the ceiling! :D

I'm not sure what the stencils are that you got in your bag at the demo. I know the ones used by the women who make those lovely trapunto quilts are the standard quilting stencils and yes, they do use the blue water soluble pens to transfer the designs to the quilt top. Karen McTavish's new book, Whitework Quilting, has some absolutely gorgeous quilts in it AND some nice instructions on how they are done.

There are all sorts of ways to use stencils, pantographs, and other marking tools with your machine. I'm sure I only know about a few of the options, as I've just been doing a lot of reading (and chatting!) and have yet to actually get my hands on my machine.

Anyway, I'd say to get ready for that machine -- APQS may surprise you. They are industrious folks who work very hard to get those machines to you quickly. Which one are you getting?

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Stencils are a wonderful tool. Use them to make pantos by using parts of the design or the entire thing (a roll of butcher paper is a worthwhile investment $18.00 at Sam's). Use them for individual blocks using chalk or black light pencils or following them from the front or back of the machine. I'm using one I made from an original water lily design right now for the sashings on a quilt.

They are not just for trapunto and you can often change the hand quilting ones a bit to make them continous lines. Have fun with them. Jeri

You can use those quilt stencils in several ways.

If you have the customer okay it, you can mark from them directly on a quilt with blue water soluble pen (before or after loading it on your machine) -- but the customer needs to know to wash the quilt in cold water to remove the chemical in it thoroughly (even if you spritz the blue marks with water so they don't show) and needs to be warned that heat will set the chemical and the marks will turn blue again if left in heat or sun or ironed or washed in warm enough water. And one suggestion from personal experience: use a new pen each time on a customer quilt -- sometimes the marks from an old pen don't come off without a lot of treatment and numerous washings, and maybe, at times, not at all.

You can use the stencils to mark the pattern on a quilt top with white chalk powder in a pounce that you rub over the top of the stencil (the less smooth side up). Then after sewing you can brush the chalk off with a bit of batting or a lint brush or vacuum it off with a hand held vacuum. Some people like to spritz the quilt top with a light mist of water before marking with chalk so less of the chalk bounces off as you sew -- then let it dry before removing by brushing or vacuuming.

You can also use those stencils to mark the design on paper, like the Golden Threads paper (from www.goldenthreads.com), staple up to 25-30 layers of the paper together (cut to the size you need - as many layers as you need, one per motif repeat), and stitch through the pattern with a threadless needle -- then use temporary adhesive spray and/or pins to attach the pattern to the quilt where you want the motif.

Or use that paper pattern off to the side with a laser light.

The chalk works best for me -- I haven't been able to do very well so far with either sewing through paper or using the laser light -- it all takes practice.

The stencils are nice for expanding the number of designs you have available to choose from. But many are not continuous line, so sometimes you have to adjust them to make them work on a longarm.

Mary

Sorry for the delay in responding Linda , I am on a visit in the Seattle area and not free to check e-mail very often. I bet you have your Liberty arriving this week! How exciting.:D It is good to know that we are not alone in our excitment or erviouness :o at setting up our systems.

One daughter is in Snoquami Ridge the other with our new grandaughter is in Mount Vernon. ARE THERE ANY APQS MEMBERS CLOSE BY to these areas?

I am here to spoil my daughters and granddaughters as much as I can in a few weeks and get my green fix before I return to Denver for a summer of hot, dry and shades of brown and gold.

We orderd the Millennium in May. A completed weaving studio will be her new home but we need to get the carpet out, the AVL loom moved over and some new flooring in before we can put up our new APQS. Need to rethink that space around the quilt frame, frequently used tools, and some accessable wall space.

No time to get started on that until my Hubby retires from the Denver Police force July 15th. Depending on when and if the delivery date is moved we can happily work around changes.

Congratulations on the arrival of your new system. DO take a big breath and enjoy!!!:D

Archived